code ? wall switch controlled lights dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I understand , code says under dwellings that garages must have a wall switch controlled light exterior entrance. Also rooms. So what about exterior lights on house? They have exterior motion lights that were switch controlled but want to eliminate the switch ( wire nut them in box ) in order to go from 3 gang to two gang. Is this legit?

kwired

Electron manager
Each entrance must have a lighting outlet that is wall switch controlled.

That said, most motion detection controls it may be desirable to have a switch anyway. Should the device get into a undesired mode you can reset it by removing power, or change modes by rapidly cycling power to the unit.

Speshulk

As far as I understand , code says under dwellings that garages must have a wall switch controlled light exterior entrance. Also rooms. So what about exterior lights on house? They have exterior motion lights that were switch controlled but want to eliminate the switch ( wire nut them in box ) in order to go from 3 gang to two gang. Is this legit?

A duplex switch would allow you to go to a 2 gang + keep the switch.

where in code

where in code

Where does NEC require switched entrance lights. I found it for garages and rooms but not specifically for entrance into the house. Thanks

exception?

exception?

Thanks, powerfull tool . Under that reference there's an exception. Automatic and remote shall be permitted.??? Its a motion light so technically I could do what she wants right

cadpoint

Thanks, powerfull tool . Under that reference there's an exception. Automatic and remote shall be permitted.??? Its a motion light so technically I could do what she wants right

:D

Yes

It's funny your asking me to read it cause I found it on fly, I thought OK this is easy switch- room, let me check the index.

I didn't note where I got the cross reference to the ARTICLE. It'd be interesting to know where this is cross referenced from other places in the Code.

Let's look for a quick reference of 200 in the index under switches since that's where wiring and protection (methods) is. Just scanning for switches or any other definitions; the index its not that always easy to use. My directly listed Article indexed item/definition is frankly totally missing in respects to what you'd think one would find by trying to use the index of the code!

I'll defer you to Charlie's Rule.

The NFPA is selective as to what it will index and why more to point. A good review of Article 100 is the best one can do. If one can learn anything - one can't call it something it's not, or make name up.

In the end it's one of the aspects of electrical installation that once learned it becomes SOP.
The Code gives you the requirements or the exceptions to the installation.

This requirement is also covered in most Building Codes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.