Coffered ceiling lighting layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Would like some suggestions.

I am doing a new build and the owner had the framers lay out backing for coffered ceilings in the kitchen.

Here's where I need some advice.

The coffered sections are in no way laid out in any relation to the physical characteristics of the kitchen
For instance.
- Above the island the coffered section is shifted 5 inches off center left to right. Pendants to be installed.
?? Do you center with the counter top space or center in the 72 inch coffered opening?
- Nook area, coffered section 8 inches off center in relation to the sliding door which will be the center line for the hanging fixture.
Again, same problem.

Then there's general can placement. My thought is if I can get an equal distance off each end that would look ok.

Seems to me that it will be far more noticeable if the openings are mis placed in the ceiling than if the don't fall directly in line with whatever is underneath it

Owner tells me that placement in the coffered section is not critical to him. To me it is, I don't think he is realizing the finished product and how it will look.

All thoughts appreciated.

If the owner has the layout all skewed, first I'd point it out, then I'd suggest that they also layout the lighting.....they've no choice but to be "happy" with the result at that point....otherwise it doesn't sound to me like you have any shot at laying lighting out "properly".

John120/240

If the owner has the layout all skewed, first I'd point it out, then I'd suggest that they also layout the lighting.....they've no choice but to be "happy" with the result at that point....otherwise it doesn't sound to me like you have any shot at laying lighting out "properly".

Like mjf says put the responsibility on the home owner. Personally I would center the fixtures/can lights in the coffered ceilings. Then the HO can place the island or kitchen table underneath your properly laid out lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.