Cold Climates fire alarm panel condensation Open conduits in one end to terminated in a close fire alarm panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernardoc

Occupation
Designer
In cold climates we are experiencing condensation in the fully gasket enclosed fire alarm panel. The conduits are open in one end and terminated at the fire alarm panel. I think that the cold air from the open end is traveling through the conduits and condensing in the panel. Does any body have the same experiences. Please note that the open end conduits space or areas are not air conditioned.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Sounds like 300.7(A) was not complied with. Often "duct seal" is used for this purpose as some of the brands comply with the requirement that sealant be identified for the purpose. Often you see expanding foam used for this purpose, but typically those products are not identified for that use.

Bernardoc

Occupation
Designer

Bernardoc

Occupation
Designer
Sounds like 300.7(A) was not complied with. Often "duct seal" is used for this purpose as some of the brands comply with the requirement that sealant be identified for the purpose. Often you see expanding foam used for this purpose, but typically those products are not identified for that use.
Don thank you, I think that is what I have, this is a job in GA.

MTW

This is the type product that you want to use to seal both ends of the conduit. Roll into a small clay rope shape and place in a ring formation around the end of the conduit and the protruding wiring, to completely seal off any air movement from passing through and around the wiring. Removable in the event that you need to pull out the wiring or add a few more to the conduit.

In a pinch a small section of plastic bag, like a torn off corner can be used in a pinch, until you can aquire some of the proper duct seal. Pack it in snugly around the conductors to block all airflow. Also works good where you have a blower creating a pressure differential between the the ends of the conduits, not just a temperature differential.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Gadfly I think it is .
Where the conduits pass through the Hoffmann box, can you terminate them at the box and just pass the cables into the fire alarm control unit? Stuff duct seal in the ends of the conduits to prevent "breathing" and the transport of moisture laden air into the Hoffman box.

Status
Not open for further replies.