Cold water pipe grounding and bonding requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Occupation
Electrician
Hi
I have a client that wants the main service panel relocated to a detached garage and a subpanel in the house.

The Inspector is ok with the plan, HOWEVER he requires a very long ground wire run of 200-250ft (in a dedicated conduit) from the new location of the main service panel (200 AMP) at the detached garage to the cold water line stub in the basement floor at house. Long story short, doing this will be very expense because of the route the wire has to take. I could just do it but I feel its completely unethical to charge the homeowner for something that is not neccessary.

For context, this is a 1950s era home that once had a network of galvanized water pipes, but the pipes were all replaced with PEX when the pipes leaked, obstructed, and corroded. The only remaining metal is a stub of the copper cold water line to the water meter supply side and everything after the meter is PEX. The meter is in the basement of the house. There is no electrical continuity in the interior plumbing of the house.

My plan was to relocate the main service to the garage and ground it with grounding rods because there are no UFER grounds available on the garage slab. The garage was built around 2000 (not original). From the main service (in detached garage) a 4 conductor feeder will run to the subpanel in the house basement.

Currently the existing panel (100 AMP) at the house has two ground rods connected to the panel and a no. 8 Cu to the copper stub of the cold water line. I informed the Inspector the interior water lines are all PEX, non-metallic. I told the Inspector I will "keep" the ground wire from the subpanel to the cold water pipe, but he refuses to approve the plan unless I run a no. 4 Cu (possibly no. 2 Cu) ground wire from the detached garage to the cold water line in the house basement.

PLEASE correct me if I am wrong!!!!

It was my understand the NEC wants you to use the cold water pipe (if available) for these reasons: 1 > it provides an earth ground, 2> it grounds all the metallic water pipes to prevent a potential shock in the bath/shower/sink, if the plumbing was energized. But IF there are no metal pipes in the house, its just another grounding point. My interpretation is: Can the electrical system energize the plumbing? IF no, then the cold water pipe stub would NOT be required to be bonded. I am also not sure about NEC requiring the cold water line to be a "grounding point" vs grounding a metallic plumbing system.

Other electricians I reached out to in the State, don't believe the "main service ground to cold water pipe" from a detached garage is necessary either. If the property was on a well, my proposal would pass. IF an additional 200 amp service (from POCO) was "added" to the detached garage then a connection to the cold water pipe is NOT required by the Inspector. So IDK if the Inspector is just stuck in his ways and refuses to consider this specific situation or there is some safety issue I am not seeing. From past experience, Inspectors substantiate requirements. I suppose I will have to challenge him and ask for written documentation and his interpretation.

I cannot find specific wording in the NEC that says a "main service panel" in a detached building must be connected to a "cold water pipe" in a different building. My interpretation is if its available use it. But nowadays with plastic pipes frequently used in renos and new builds, I think the NEC needs to address this scenario.

Any advice or supporting arguments I can use in my next discussion with the Inspector is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You are only required to use the grounding electrodes that are available at the building or structure where the service equipment is installed. If there are none there, you install rods or plates.
The feeder to the house requires an EGC, and the rule in 250.32(A) will require a grounding electrode in accordance with Part II of Article 250 at the house. That would require running a GEC from the metal underground water pipe at the house to the equipment grounding bar in the panel that is installed in the house. As with the service equipment if there are no available grounding electrodes at the house you will have to install one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Currently the existing panel (100 AMP) at the house has two ground rods connected to the panel and a no. 8 Cu to the copper stub of the cold water line. I informed the Inspector the interior water lines are all PEX, non-metallic. I told the Inspector I will "keep" the ground wire from the subpanel to the cold water pipe, but he refuses to approve the plan unless I run a no. 4 Cu (possibly no. 2 Cu) ground wire from the detached garage to the cold water line in the house basement.
Let's start with a request, try and use the proper terminology. The conductor to a grounding electrode is a GEC. The conductor run with a feeder is an EGC. The service is at the garage and from the service you connect a GEC to your electrode. From the service to the house is a feeder and as mentioned that will have an EGC. The house requires its own GES which is existing. You do not run a GEC from the garage to the house. The inspector is lost on this one. The panel in the house gets connected to the existing electrodes with GEC's from the sub-panel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

You're not crazy, the inspector is.

The presence or absence of metallic water piping in the house or the garage is not relevant.

The new service panel in the garage requires a grounding electrode system at the garage.

The now-sub-panel in the house requires a grounding electrode system at the house.

A service does not require a grounding electrode conductor run to a separate structure.

The feeder's grounding conductor is not, nor need be a grounding electrode conductor.

(Don't forget that the now-sub-panel in the house now requires un-bonding the neutral.)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If the water pipe coming into the building qualifies as a grounding electrode which it sounds like it does, it has to be connected to the panel board in the house which will have the neutral and ground unbonded.

I don't know what the inspector is thinking.

Osprey

Occupation
Electrician
If the water pipe coming into the building qualifies as a grounding electrode which it sounds like it does, it has to be connected to the panel board in the house which will have the neutral and ground unbonded.

Thank you, agree w/ you

Osprey

Occupation
Electrician
Welcome to the forum.

You're not crazy, the inspector is.

The presence or absence of metallic water piping in the house or the garage is not relevant.

The new service panel in the garage requires a grounding electrode system at the garage.

The now-sub-panel in the house requires a grounding electrode system at the house.

A service does not require a grounding electrode conductor run to a separate structure.

The feeder's grounding conductor is not, nor need be a grounding electrode conductor.

(Don't forget that the now-sub-panel in the house now requires un-bonding the neutral.)
Thank you, agree w/ you
Let's start with a request, try and use the proper terminology. The conductor to a grounding electrode is a GEC. The conductor run with a feeder is an EGC. The service is at the garage and from the service you connect a GEC to your electrode. From the service to the house is a feeder and as mentioned that will have an EGC. The house requires its own GES which is existing. You do not run a GEC from the garage to the house. The inspector is lost on this one. The panel in the house gets connected to the existing electrodes with GEC's from the sub-panel.
Thank you, agree w/ you, sorry for not being more specific w/ terms.

Osprey

Occupation
Electrician

thanks for the sanity check, told the inspector I would do that as well.

Osprey

Occupation
Electrician
You are only required to use the grounding electrodes that are available at the building or structure where the service equipment is installed. If there are none there, you install rods or plates.
The feeder to the house requires an EGC, and the rule in 250.32(A) will require a grounding electrode in accordance with Part II of Article 250 at the house. That would require running a GEC from the metal underground water pipe at the house to the equipment grounding bar in the panel that is installed in the house. As with the service equipment if there are no available grounding electrodes at the house you will have to install one.
thank you!

Osprey

Occupation
Electrician
thank you

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
NEC Section 250.68(C)(1) requires that "Interior metal piping located not more than 1.52m (5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building shall be permitted to be used as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system".

In California, it is common to find the electrical service feeding from the utility pole located at the back of the property and the water service located at the front of the property. As required by AHJ I will always feed No. 6 mc cable from the Main Service in the back of the property to the front of the property at the water service. It does not matter if the interior water system is pvc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.