Cold Weather and DMM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
My DMM has been in my tool shed and temp has been 10-20 at night. Will that mess up my meter?

100 degree summer temps?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The LCD may fog up but will clear up. I've had more trouble with them being in direct sunlight and causing the LCD to "black/fuzz out" more than just heat or cold.
I left my meter laying out in direct noon sun one day in the summer. When I went to use it the display was gone. I just thought the battery died so I replaced it. Still blank/dark screen. I laid it in the shade under some bushes for a while and the screen cleared right up.

So, the LCD may mess up but I don't think the "workings of the meter will be damaged any. I leave mine in the van year round as well.....hot-cold-hot-cold....

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
My DMM has been in my tool shed and temp has been 10-20 at night. Will that mess up my meter?

100 degree summer temps?

yes. you should immediately bring it to santa monica, and
hold it in one hand with a corona in the other, till it warms up.

the meter. not the corona. keep changing the corona for a cold one.
the theory is you want to warm the meter, but not too fast. keeping
a cold corona nearby will balance things out.

about three months should be enough.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
The cold is killing my DMM's battery, got 315V in a residence the other day

Now we're getting hammered on the East coast , cold ...cold...and down to 'stupid cold' .....i wanna corona w/monica! ~RJ~

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
The cold is killing my DMM's battery, got 315V in a residence the other day

Now we're getting hammered on the East coast , cold ...cold...and down to 'stupid cold' .....i wanna corona w/monica! ~RJ~

put the batteries in your pocket. come to santa monica.
you can then hold a corona in each hand.

note:

all people bringing cold weather problems here.
there is only one solution: a cold beer in santa monica.

don't make me keep repeating this. come to santa monica,
and drink cold beers until spring. got it?

kwired

Electron manager
put the batteries in your pocket. come to santa monica.
you can then hold a corona in each hand.

note:

all people bringing cold weather problems here.
there is only one solution: a cold beer in santa monica.

don't make me keep repeating this. come to santa monica,
and drink cold beers until spring. got it?
The one time I was there, it was unusually cold for the area, but was still warmer then it was at home. Was right about this time of the year.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The LCD may fog up but will clear up. I've had more trouble with them being in direct sunlight and causing the LCD to "black/fuzz out" more than just heat or cold.
I left my meter laying out in direct noon sun one day in the summer. When I went to use it the display was gone. I just thought the battery died so I replaced it. Still blank/dark screen. I laid it in the shade under some bushes for a while and the screen cleared right up.

So, the LCD may mess up but I don't think the "workings of the meter will be damaged any. I leave mine in the van year round as well.....hot-cold-hot-cold....

For sure the display will get sluggish in the cold. I've made that mistake before. The numerals disappear and reappear randomly. It is, after all, a liquid crystal display. Fire alarm equipment with LCD displays is not certified below 32°F. In my personal experience they get wonky below 40°F.

Status
Not open for further replies.