Color code

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedottcom

Re: Color code

Wait, I did it again, I answered too quickly!

Ok, my new answer is:

Only if the wires are 277 or 480 volts!

Dave

davedottcom

The only job I kept every wires color code consistant for the entire building was an office bldng. for "State Farm Insurance". Has anyone else ever wired one of thier buildings? They have more specs then the NEC itself! Wires on A phase circuits had to be Black, wires on B had to be Red...etc...Many circuits had to be ran with the wires unbroken for the entire circuit! Every single wire marked with a number at every J-box, breaker, device, J-box covers labeled...etc...
That job took really, really long!

Dave

jimwalker

No not a trick question and was pretty sure it was legal.My helper opened the panel and wanted me to see it.Scary but told him i thaught it was legal ,just kinda stupid.Makes life fun to get 2 blues 1 red 1 white.Guess phase tape was a back order.

iwire

Staff member

As of the 2005 NEC you never have to identify the phases,only the system.

You can make all 208Y/120 phases Brown and all the 480Y/277 Phases Orange.

Never trust a color to determine the voltage.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by davedottcom:
Wires on A phase circuits had to be Black, wires on B had to be Red...etc...
Dave we do that all the time, it is company policy. :)

Black Red Blue White 208Y/120

Brown Orange Yellow Gray 480Y/277

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ungrounded conductors can be any color other than white, grey, green or green with yellow stripe. We have used violet and magenta from time to time for various switching configurations.

davedottcom

Originally posted by infinity:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ungrounded conductors can be any color other than white, grey, green or green with yellow stripe. We have used violet and magenta from time to time for various switching configurations.
hmmm, guess you're right! :)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Hey lets be really picky. White with colored stripes is not allowed for phase conductors either, but what about grey with stripes?

paul

Originally posted by davedottcom:
The only job I kept every wires color code consistant for the entire building was an office bldng. for "State Farm Insurance". Has anyone else ever wired one of thier buildings? They have more specs then the NEC itself! Wires on A phase circuits had to be Black, wires on B had to be Red...etc...Many circuits had to be ran with the wires unbroken for the entire circuit! Every single wire marked with a number at every J-box, breaker, device, J-box covers labeled...etc...
That job took really, really long!

Dave
Yup, sure have. They have their own inspector that makes sure you follow their specs to the letter. They also wanted all GRS in the block walls and not PVC.

davedottcom

Paul, you know Exactly what I'm talking about! I believe you even know the same inspector, I can't think of his name, this was about 12 years ago. (One of my guys nick-named him Ramone-Calone because he wore so much Calone, you could always smell when he was in the building!!!)He used to fly around from building to building to inspect them. They use the exact same floor plan every time so he knew it real well.
Did they make you Cad-Weld a ground ring around the Transformer?
Oh, and I remember something about key switches with overloads on all 6 garage door openers!?!?
Luckily I was working for someone, but my boss was freaking out every time I told him what they want!!! I think he started looking at Spec books a lot closer after that job!
There was about 1,000' of floor duct too! What a pain in the A$*!
:D
Dave

Editted: Actually it wasn't a ground ring around the transformer. It was a "Counterpoise Ground"! A triangle shape with a rod at each angle! Very strange to me!

[ October 05, 2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: davedottcom ]

Status
Not open for further replies.