Color of Fire Alarm Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Are fire alarm panels required to be red, and if so where is this requirement?

There is no requirement in NFPA 70 or NFPA 72 that fire alarm panels be red. There may be local code requirements regarding color, and of course the customer may have a preference. Siemens, for one, offers red and black.

WorkSafe

Pull stations, yes, but haven't seen anything about panels.

NFPA 72

17.14.1.1* Unless installed in an environment that precludes the use of red paint or red plastic, manual fire alarm boxes shall be red in color.

gadfly56

Occupation
For the longest time, Cerberbus Pyrotronics and Siemens addressable panels (MXL and XLS) are black.

Or order a CAB3-RB (back box) and CAB3-RD (door set) and enjoy life in glorious (red) color. The default, is in fact black. Although, System 3 enclosures are blue.

del91574

Default color on Notifier panels is black as well, but they can be had in red also. As a flip side, Fire-Lite panels can be ordered in black.

gadfly56

Occupation
Default color on Notifier panels is black as well, but they can be had in red also. As a flip side, Fire-Lite panels can be ordered in black.

I did not know that. Thanks for filling my "learn something new every day" quota! :thumbsup:

dhalleron

Pull stations, yes, but haven't seen anything about panels.

NFPA 72

17.14.1.1* Unless installed in an environment that precludes the use of red paint or red plastic, manual fire alarm boxes shall be red in color.

You're going to make me break down and start reading the 2010 72 cover to cover. That's a new requirement. The requirement for contrasting color has been there awhile, but not the red.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Omitting those that only come in red or red & black.....

Omitting those that only come in red or red & black.....

Original ADT Unimode, old Edwards, old Honeywell, Pyrotronics CP-400, old Simplex, & Spectronics 641: Red or beige doors on beige cabinets.
FAST & 1990's EST: White with blue trim.
Fenwal, FCI 72: Beige closer to off-white.
EST3: Light grey with blue trim.
Notifier: Battleship grey with dark blue trim.

I wonder how may systems are chosen by the interior decorator?

del91574

[/B]

I did not know that. Thanks for filling my "learn something new every day" quota! :thumbsup:

Good luck trying to get your rep to get you one or find the part # , they're hard to find, but IIRC, they're generally used for marine applications and also include the block off plate to keep fingers from getting close to the circuit board and terminals.

Of note, the larger Fire-lite panels, NAC supplies and the little baby 25 point panel are all repainted and labelled Notifier, even though the silk screen on the boards say Fire-lite.

Status
Not open for further replies.