Color phase PV wire#10 green

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAP

On a grounded Inverter we phased are Black # 10 white, we are doing a 1000 volt system 46 22k solar edge ungrounded,I can't use green THHN, can I phase black 1000 volt PV wire green # 10 underground PVC. Is there a exception to #4 AWG

Carultch

On a grounded Inverter we phased are Black # 10 white, we are doing a 1000 volt system 46 22k solar edge ungrounded,I can't use green THHN, can I phase black 1000 volt PV wire green # 10 underground PVC. Is there a exception to #4 AWG

You are using phase as a verb. It is unclear what you mean.

Are you talking about taping the wire at terminations, as opposed to starting with wire that has a factory finish the code-required color?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Can't you use bare solid #10? Why can't you use THHN or similar?

The exception for grounded PV conductor is in 200.6(A)(6), but I'm not aware of a similar exception for an EGC. So if the inspector is dinging you for that you may just have to re-pull something else.

SAP

From my understanding I can't mix THHN 600 volt with 1000 volt wire, pulling solid is not feasible, it's about 190 foot run, Can I tape my black 1000 volt PV wire green at j boxes & terminations, thanks

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
From my understanding I can't mix THHN 600 volt with 1000 volt wire
300.3(C) applies to circuit conductors, so it would seem to me that it would be OK to have only 600V insulation on the EGC. After all, if the EGC can be bare, what does the rating of the insulation on it matter?

Cheers, Wayne

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
From my understanding I can't mix THHN 600 volt with 1000 volt wire, pulling solid is not feasible, it's about 190 foot run, Can I tape my black 1000 volt PV wire green at j boxes & terminations, thanks
You cannot mix 1000V circuits with lower voltage circuits with lower voltage rating conductors, but you can mix them if you put them all in 1000V wire. It seems silly, however, to not be able to mix a 600V insulated EGC with 1000V CCC's if you could have run it uninsulated, especially if you are running in grounded metal conduit.

SAP

I'm all for running THHN for my EGC, The THHN says 600 volt would I be violating the UL listing if I use it to protect over 600 volt system

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm all for running THHN for my EGC, The THHN says 600 volt would I be violating the UL listing if I use it to protect over 600 volt system
There is no code violation using a 600 volt rated, green insulated conductor as an EGC no matter what the circuit voltage may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.