Color Requirements for 24VDC wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMcCarty

Where in the code (Fire Alarm) is color requirements for 24 VDC circuits? I was working on a fire alarm panel and found two green insulated conductors powering a 24VDC relay. These conductors should have been colors like red and black. Before I identify this a a problem I wanted to be able to site the code requirements.

Thanks

Phil

cadpoint

Tough Question !

Tough Question !

PMcCarty said:
Where in the code (Fire Alarm) is color requirements for 24 VDC circuits? I was working on a fire alarm panel and found two green insulated conductors powering a 24VDC relay. These conductors should have been colors like red and black. Before I identify this a a problem I wanted to be able to site the code requirements.

Thanks

Phil

Good Question !

NFPA 72 - 2007 might be a better over-all book to look at.

I tend to disagree that two Green wires on the service before the transformer is a good thing... and I beleive thats what is above.

If this is truely the case these two wires are "Hopefully" reidentified at the Panel!

Now other than what NFPA 72 might present as a better picture but reading from NFPA 70 08', there two types of fire alarm controls.

760.35 (A) Non-Power-Limited Alarm (NPLFA)
760.35 (B) Power-Limited Fir alarm Circuits (PLEA)

NPLFA
760.46 NPLFA Circuit Wiring ... and other appropriate articles of Chapter 3

I really think 310.2 is a good over-all read
310.12(c) Ungrounded Conductors

I think your answer is 210.5 (C)

Maybe someone else will go to bat, and we can all learn and qualify the logic.

Maybe thats all they had on the truck...

Edit
removed a reference

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
JohnJ0906 said:
try 250.119.
However, there is an exception in the '08 NEC that may allow this.

That is correct. The 08 specifically allows the green for certain situations.

250.119 Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or insulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section. Conductors with insulation or individual covering that is green, green with one or more yellow stripes, or otherwise identified as permitted by this section shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors.
Exception: Power-limited, Class 2 or Class 3 circuit cables containing only circuits operating at less than 50 volts shall be permitted to use a conductor with green insulation for other than equipment grounding purposes.

cadpoint

Gusss darn, I didn't read that!

I went right to other things!

Low voltage work, out of control, MHO, nothing new, we apply everything otherwise and OH Yeah don't forget about low voltage.
Low Voltage Work ... GREAT!

"Look out here comes the Low Voltage Guy..." :rolleyes:

L

Lxnxjxhx

color exemption

color exemption

is because at 24 v there is no personal safety issue?
Right?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
cadpoint said:
Gusss darn, I didn't read that!

I went right to other things!

Low voltage work, out of control, MHO, nothing new, we apply everything otherwise and OH Yeah don't forget about low voltage.
Low Voltage Work ... GREAT!

"Look out here comes the Low Voltage Guy..." :rolleyes:

Jude I think this was added in to make it legal for all those thermostats that use the green wire for the fan. Technically it wasn't allowed till now. :smile:

cadpoint

The OP thinks like alot of people here,(MO) I think green other things.

Granted its Low Voltage application, I'm just try'n to say this side of the bigger highway, what do you think your going to do with a green, day in day out.

:)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The change to 250.119 was based on my proposal to allow IMSA 19-1 traffic signal cable where qualifed persons maintain the installation, as in this 5 conductor cable, the red is for the red lamp, yellow for the yellow lamp and green for the green lamp. There is a UL listing for traffic signal cable that recognizes that green is used for other than equipment grounding. But the code making panel stated that the NEC does not apply for traffic signal wiring, so I will be back for the 11 code.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
Jude I think this was added in to make it legal for all those thermostats that use the green wire for the fan. Technically it wasn't allowed till now. :smile:
It was OK until the 05 NEC where the color green was restricted to the EGC. Before the EGC had to be green, but other conductors could use green, such as 120V hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.