ComEd residential overhead drop wire from a splice and not from a utility pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yetti

Hello,
I have a 100 amp overhead service connection, that spans 140 feet between the ComEd utility pole and a overhead service mast connection.
The mast was recently replaced to be a new 2 1/2 conduit mast, with permit and approval from the local inspector.

ComEd has said the current connection between the service mast to their utility pole crosses the neighbors property, and it therefore they are going to change their overhead dropwire connection location. That's fine....until they said they do not plan on installing a new utility pole, but rather they intend to "splice" the new dropwire connection to their line, which will be approx. 100 feet away from the nearest utility pole in either direction.

The residential service mast connection point is 12ft. from the ground, and the overhead ComEd line where they will attach is sagging low...only 15 feet off the ground.
I am concerned that this plan of connecting a 100 foot drop line to a splice and not to a pole, will put additional strain on my service mast when they attempt to tighten the line slack to be no less than 10' 6" from the ground at the lowest point.

Is a inline splice common, or should a utility post normally be installed for this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A splice is common in that situation and besides the power company doesn't answer to anybody. They are not governed by the NEC

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am concerned that this plan of connecting a 100 foot drop line to a splice and not to a pole, will put additional strain on my service mast when they attempt to tighten the line slack to be no less than 10' 6" from the ground at the lowest point.

Adding a guy wire to the mast in the opposite direction of the service drop should help the the strain.

Yetti

A splice is common in that situation and besides the power company doesn't answer to anybody. They are not governed by the NEC

I'm glad it is common...I just haven't seen anyone else with this splice...everyone else I see in the area is connected to a pole.
And yes, I am finding out that ComEd acts like they do whatever they want, like they are ComEd or something.
Thanks for the response, it's helpful.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yetti

Adding a guy wire to the mast in the opposite direction of the service drop should help the the strain.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I will wait until they do their new connection, to be sure I am located in the opposite direction.
Their line runs thru a line of trees. This new splice connection will put my service mast into a 200 foot run with about 8 trees that could drop a limb to test the limits of my service mast. I may try one more time to see if I can get a pole, even if I have to buy it.

Yetti

Update, Comed connected to the utility pole after all

Update, Comed connected to the utility pole after all

Comed just finished the hook up....The Guys who came to do the work were cool.
They looked at it, walked thru the yard, and wondered why splice connect to the low sag in the line, and not just re-connect to the pole?
I told them if it's an option, I would rather stay connected to the utility pole, but the field rep Lady said it couldn't remain connected there, as it crossed the neighbors yard in the far corner, and therefore needed to be connected straight back to a splice in the line.
They said, yeah, let's not do that, we'll keep you connected to the pole...the pulled up the slack, re-connected to the new service mast, and all is well...for now.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.