comfortable hard hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

I sense a bit of resentment toward hard hats in some of the posts. Is it really the hard hat that's resented?

Or, is it the manner in which 'rules' are imposed that we resent?

Perhaps it's the way hard hats are more often required for 'fashion' reasons than actual safety. Admit it: we've all been required to wear hard hats, and other "PPE," in situations where there was no risk at all.
(Don't deny the 'fashion' angle. Just look at the places that get all worked up if you're wearing the thing 'backwards,' or show up in one of the "cowboy" style hats!)

Maybe it's the 'company provides' part that bugs us. After all, it's the nature of administrators to look for the simplest, cheapest, one-size-fits-all solution. Doubt me? OK, let's see some hands ... what's on your head when you're crawling through an attic or crawl space? A hard hat that keeps falling off? A bump cap that actually fits between the joists? A climbing helmet, which also gives side protection, and won't fall off? Or, nothing more than a bad toupee?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Ahh, the grass is always greener...
I'm jealous. I hate wearing a hard hat too, and often have to crank down on the ratchet for the similar reasons. The difference between you and me is, by the time I'm done all I have is the big red mark across the forehead.

On the upside. When I get home late from work and need to go to a social event, turn around time is twelve minutes. A quick shower, fresh clothes and I am out the door.

:thumbsup:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I sense a bit of resentment toward hard hats in some of the posts. Is it really the hard hat that's resented?

Or, is it the manner in which 'rules' are imposed that we resent?

Perhaps it's the way hard hats are more often required for 'fashion' reasons than actual safety. Admit it: we've all been required to wear hard hats, and other "PPE," in situations where there was no risk at all.
(Don't deny the 'fashion' angle. Just look at the places that get all worked up if you're wearing the thing 'backwards,' or show up in one of the "cowboy" style hats!)

Maybe it's the 'company provides' part that bugs us. After all, it's the nature of administrators to look for the simplest, cheapest, one-size-fits-all solution. Doubt me? OK, let's see some hands ... what's on your head when you're crawling through an attic or crawl space? A hard hat that keeps falling off? A bump cap that actually fits between the joists? A climbing helmet, which also gives side protection, and won't fall off? Or, nothing more than a bad toupee?

Sorry for me it's the hard hat. I've worn a hat most of my life, either a ball cap or a cowboy hat, doesn't bother me to have something on my head. But doesn't take long when wearing a hard hat for the sweat to start running into my eyes and my hair to start mashing down. I do find it really unnecessary to wear one when we are there doing underground inspections.

I always giggle when we work near the railroad tracks and we have to wear our hard hats and vests. Won't stop the train, but it will make the body easier to identify.:huh:

jumper

I always giggle when we work near the railroad tracks and we have to wear our hard hats and vests. Won't stop the train, but it will make the body easier to identify.:huh:

Kinda like a 100 cal/cm2 PPE. Wife asked once "Why the high rating?" I said "That is for so there will be enough left for DNA tests after you are in an arc blast that strong."

Status
Not open for further replies.