Comm Circuits in cable tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

Communications cables (Article 800) installed in solid bottom metal cable tray with solid metal covers in compliance with 300.22(C)(1).
Since the environment is a "other space used for environmental air", and since the cables are in enclosed cable tray, is a plenum rating required for the cables per 800.50 & 800.51?
Is enclosed cable tray its own little environment like regular conduit and the cable doesn't have to be listed for the environment outside of its small isolated world? Where would I find that reference in the NEC.

[ July 11, 2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: ron ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Comm Circuits in cable tray

300.22(C)(1). The last part says " Other types of cables and condutors shall be installed in EMT.....or, where accessible, surface metal raceway or metal wireway with metal covers or solid bottom metal cable tray with solid metal covers."

So I think you should be ok with regular cable if it is an "other space".

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Comm Circuits in cable tray

I still think regular cable is OK.

Although 800.50 and 800.51 seem more restrictive on what type of cable can be placed in a tray, those trays aren't necessarily made of enclosed metal.

Look at 800.53 (E)(2). If your cable tray is a chapter 3 wiring method, it looks like you can install any listed comm cable.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.