Comment 18-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

Receptacles controlled by [automatic?] energy management systems are to be marked by the 0/1 symbol. Receptacles controlled by manual switches as the "lighting outlet" for the room are not required to be so marked.

I guess the ideas is that electricians are used to wall switch controlled receptacles and not so use to automatically controlled ones. The special symbol is a hint that the power may be off on purpose.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The special symbol is a hint that the power may be off on purpose.
And, of course, that it may come back on without notice if you think that it is off because you turned off the wrong breaker and the energy management system happened to de-energize it at the same time.
Similar to the warnings on electric radiator fans on car engines: They may turn on on their own even without the engine running.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm confused by the last two posts. Comment 18-15 corrects an oversight where the existing requirement requires a GFCI receptacle to be physically present where replacing a receptacle that requires GFCI protection.

The panel did a sloppy job. They could have simply changed the rule to say "GFCI protection shall be provided at..." instead of the confusing exception they added.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The panel did a sloppy job. They could have simply changed the rule to say "GFCI protection shall be provided at..." instead of the confusing exception they added.
I would rather say "...shall be provided for..." since the "at" could be interpreted as limiting the location of the device that provided that protection.

joebell

useless exception

useless exception

The opening language in 406.4(D) indicates the submitters concern "Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protected receptacles", to me this means you could install a GFCI receptacle or GFCI circuit breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.