Commercial Exterior Bldg Ltg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across a Church Sanctuary where there was an emergency exit door that opened directly outdoors into a grass area. The engineer specified a Light on the exterior of the building above the door, the church asked that the light be deleted because they didn't want anyone using that door except in an emergency situation. The Electrical Contractor said he thought there was a code that said you had to have an exterior light at the emergency exit. I could not find this code, does any one know if this exists? Or is this just hearsay.

kentirwin

Re: Commercial Exterior Bldg Ltg?

Ryan - could you expound on that reference? We're doing basically a design-build new process area and have cut some new designated exit doors to the exterior of the building. I have stated several times in past weeks that I thought we needed exterior lighting over/adjacent to those doors. I stated that it wasn't an NEC requirement but thought it was required by other codes. Just a few minutes ago I gave one of our engineers your reference. He told me he didn't see any definitive verbage in the section you referenced that mandated exterior lighting. If you could be more specific it would help. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.