Commercial freezer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have commercial freezer big in warehouse for food. The freezer has the following circuits fed from breaker:

1. Door heat single pole 20A breaker. There are cables on freezer door for heat to prevent ice formation on door

2. Bi part door heat single pole 20A breaker. There are cables on bi part door freezer for heat to prevent ice formation on door

3. Under floor heat control panel single pole 20A breaker. There are cables under the floor of freezer to help with ice formation below ground, condensate, floor cracking etc.

Does anyone know if NEC 2014 require GFCI or GFPE on circuits of items #1, #2, and #3 or not? I looked but did not find want to make sure I didn’t miss any hidden sections in the code or some interpretation of code section.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You sure any cables all three items post #1 are not considered any type of heat trace section 427 since cables are used for heat freezer doors, heat under slab for freezer Not for pipes?

Good question. I don't think so in the traditional sense but it shouldn't matter since they are all wired so you don't have to worry about GFCIs.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
1 and 2 no, really no different than the frost free component of your home refrigerator. 3 sounds more like a heating mat that you would have under your bathroom floor, that does require GFCI protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.