Commercial is sure different!

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
e57 said:
Hmmmm... Somebody could use a "spacing comb".
Mark, the other side of this wall is a treatment room; this wall on the flip side contains 5 single-gang boxes with EMT, and three med-gas copper pipes. There is also a overhead med light and a large thing made of strut (purpose unknown to me) over the bed.

All things being equal, that is as good as it could possibly get. I'm glad they didn't saddle me with the task. :)

I'll look into the firecaulk specs tonight. I've never seen it look much different, so I'm not sure what aspect seems so obvious to everyone else. :-?

peter d

roger said:
Peter, besides the issues with plane Jane MC and 517.13(A), 517.30(C)(3) will also come into play.

Thanks Roger. I should have known that you would have been all over that. I mean, it's not like you've done many hospitals. ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
peter d said:
Thanks Roger. I should have known that you would have been all over that. I mean, it's not like you've done many hospitals. ;)

:)

Roger

quogueelectric

Hospital work

Hospital work

I have done extensive work in many hospitals in the NY area. Two bits of advice I would like to give you. Number one some of the separately derived systems like generator feeds tied into transfer switches are not referenced to ground. So you may have a 480 volt 400 a feeder in a transfer switch which is not referenced to ground. So you take your tester and measure the voltage to ground and it reads zero then you reach in and much to your surprise it is energized. ALLWAYS test phase to ground , phase to neutral and phase to phase in a hospital also use a tick tracer. Secondly many improperly trained maintenance personel have thier hands in making small changes and repairs in hospitals many many times using neutrals and hots from diferent panels which works fine until you come along and try to move or replace the panel. Shut down the main and remove the panel until you go to remove the neutral bus and get knocked on your assets because the circuit was tied into annother panel and picked up the wrong neutral. Be careful your life and the lives of others depend on the quality of work you do.

quogueelectric

mc cable in a hospital

mc cable in a hospital

I am sure that mc is not allowed in patient care areas you must use hcf health care facility cable which is like a bx with a ground conductor all painted green. Pipe may just be in the specs however I think you can use mc cable in the cafeteria and non patient areas but I would have to check. Myself I would go with the hcf cable and not have to worry about it unless the job specs require pipe. make sure you get the cuts on all nurses call equipment and that the boxes are sufficiently large enough to accept the device and all of the associated wiring and correct # of ganged openings.

ace283

georgestolz said:
I took a few pictures in the hospital I'm working in, thought I'd share a little slice of what I've been up to since my change from resi to commercial, and I saw an avenue or two for code discussion along the way.

Do you consider a cut-in troffer hole acceptable to make junction boxes accessible?

Hospital013.jpg

In the hard lid of this emergency room, we have junction boxes for the lights and receptacles above. They will be accessible after the fact by removing the troffers next to them. Do you consider this code compliant?

Click for larger image

Here is the pipework I did over the ER ceiling. Actually, a couple guys started, and I had to finish it off. If I had taken pictures before drywall was completed, you'd be able to see that I had to ride the wall, and then kick into the wall before 90-ing down to the receptacles - to keep the "lanes" open for more conduit.

I actually had to remove and rework some of the other's work simply to make more room. Eventually the room ran out, and fortunately by that point there were only a few more conduits to go, so they could roll out away from the wall and bypass the traffic altogether.

I've found trying to share the same cramped space with tinning, med gas and other plumbing has been an incredible challenge at times. For another example, check out the path to the electrical room:

Click for larger image

The cable tray is exactly 4" above the bottom of the grid ceiling. The doorway is roughly the same size as the electrical room at the door, as seen in this picture. Unfortunately, the rack of homeruns is quite wider than that. :D

I wish I had taken some picture's of Ron's rack that had the 30+ home runs on it. It was in an area I couldn't get to on Friday. He's a master with mostly industrial experience, and his conduit work is extremely clean. I think at one spot he had 20+ 3/4"s with over a 2' kick, and none of them were the slightest bit out of line. :)

My poor rack (seen here just outside the electrical room) ended up having to be contorted quite a bit to find my own way there.
icon9.gif
yea you need to work on that a little

Status
Not open for further replies.