Commercial Oven 3ph to 1ph conversion

retnoc

Occupation
Electrician
Hello everyone,

I planned on ordering this oven for my wife's store(I am an electrician), the building service is 3ph 120/208v, but each rental unit only has single phase 120/208.

I've never converted a 3phase oven to single phase before, and the website says it's convertible in the field.

First question, when I called Kitchenall, they said the unit is either 208v 3phase or 240v single phase. (Assume I'll be ordering the 208v 3phase correct?)?

2nd question, how would i go about converting it? Im assuming, id have to add 2 wires between terminal block and contactor L1 and L3 and remove or ignore the L2 wire?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20240715-163910_CamScanner.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The two diagrams show exactly how to wire it for either 1ph or 3ph.

You would follow the red diagram

Connect 31, 33, and 35 together, and connect 32, 34, and 36 together.

retnoc

Occupation
Electrician
At 208V you will not get the full wattage from it; you will get 75%. That then just means it will take a little longer to get to tetemperature.

I believe it's only 75% effective if you connect a 208v power to 240v elements.

3 phase to single phase would change the required amperage

kwired

Electron manager
At 208V you will not get the full wattage from it; you will get 75%. That then just means it will take a little longer to get to temperature.
You will still get same watts at 208 single phase as you will at 208 three phase though, if you connect the elements as shown in diagram.

the 75% wattage is when you apply 208 instead of 240 for either setup.

Edit: should have read on a little further I see.

Todd0x1

Looking at the diagrams it says "208 or 240V elements" So you want 208V elements and wire it per the single phase diagram and you're good to go (at full wattage)

Mr.Y

Occupation
Electrical engineer
Looking at the diagrams it says "208 or 240V elements" So you want 208V elements and wire it per the single phase diagram and you're good to go (at full wattage)
I don't believe they manufacture different elements; most likely, all of them are 240V. It will take a couple more minutes to reach 350°F

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Manufactures do take short cuts to save money, GE used 120 volt coils on some of their larger mechanically held lighting contactors that had 277 volt control. I would scare the heck out of store managers when overriding the controls. They would close with a very loud bang! Sometimes they would even break the arm pin! LOL!