commercial Oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

patpappas

The oven is 480V 3PH 72.4KW, sizing a circuit breaker I have a formula done up 72,400/480 = 150.8/1.73 = 87.18 x 120% = 104.6 amperes, I don't know what the 120% is for, using Table 220.56 I come up with a different answer.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I don't believe a range is considered to be a continuous load therefore the 125% wouldn't be required. I think a 90A breaker would suffice.......

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I seriously doubt any range is @ 100% power for 3 hours continuous even if it were in a commercial setting......

iwire

Staff member
barbeer said:
How many restaurants do you know of that are only open for 2 hours and 59 minutes or less a day?

How long they are open has nothing to do with it, the kitchen oven cycles on and off by temperature. IMO the NEC does not require it to be treated as a continuous load although I might choose to.

benaround

patpappas,

I agree with Bob (iwire) as far as going a little to the safe side on this circuit.

The few extra dollars spent on wire and c.b. would more that pay for a full

oven tripping off and losing $$$$ on food. jmo.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
ultramegabob said:
and they cycle on and off the whole time they are being used.

They may be on for 3 hours or loner but art. 220.56 & T220.56 allows you to use 100% not 125%.

I believe they realize that the load will not be at the max for 3 hours or more thus there is no need to use 125%. IMO

ray cyr

I don't think that 220.56 and T220.56 apply to branch circuits. If we look at 220.10 it states that "branch-circuit loads shall be calculated as shown in 220.12, 220.14 and 200.16". 220.14(A) covers "Specific Appliances or Loads".

Status
Not open for further replies.