Commercial Projects: When are permits needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

Is there a single source (nationally) that can give me information on what kind of work require a permit? Looking at a 1-for-1 fixture change out in a commercial space and trying to understand if I need a licensed electrician to pull a permit for this work.

Any help is appreciated.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The requirements are by local and state rules, there is no National standard.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Roger is correct - such rules vary from one place to another. If the property across the street from you happens to be in a different jurisdiction they could have a different rule then what applies to you for what you are asking about. Your answer is dependent on who the AHJ is at your location.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That would be a dream come true :D.

I do work in three counties. One of the counties actually has 13 different jurisdictions. Each of the 13 has their own permit office, forms, rules, and inspectors. :sick: I would just like to have one jurisdiction per county. (One of three does have one jurisdiction, the last one has four.) I know having uniform rules across the entire state is a pipe dream.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
That would be a dream come true :D.

I do work in three counties. One of the counties actually has 13 different jurisdictions. Each of the 13 has their own permit office, forms, rules, and inspectors. :sick: I would just like to have one jurisdiction per county. (One of three does have one jurisdiction, the last one has four.) I know having uniform rules across the entire state is a pipe dream.

CA technically has the same rules for permits across the State , enforcement is a whole different item.

Status
Not open for further replies.