Commercial Range hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

I have a range hood light and a fan that are operated by the same switch on the hood itself. The fan is located outside and I must penetrate the firewall to get the wire to the fan. Is it allowable to penetrate the wall and seal it with fire caulk or should i go around it and use the extra wire. The area I am considering boring through is a concrete wall just outside of the hood itself, but on the fire wall.

Also, it has been a while since I've done this application and i just want to make sure Im doing it correct. Does the switch for the hood have to be located on the hood, or can it be located on the wall next to the hood. I think I remember that the switch must be located on the hood itself, but I am not 100% . Thanks for any help.

Thanks for any help.

davedottcom

Re: Commercial Range hood

Chris, Are you sure the exhaust motor housing doesn't have a "chase" for you?
I don't know of any requirement for the switch to be "on" the hood but make sure you follow your local fire codes when hooking up a comm. range hood. You will probably have to run it through a control panel and tie it into the fire suppressing system (ANSUL system) if there is one. The exhaust motor will be "Locked" on and the make-up motor will be "locked" off in the event of a fire.
I just went through that whole mess a few months back. Luckily the job was T. & M.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.