Commercial refrigerator/freezer gfci

jimajimjim

Occupation
Master Electrician
I recently came across a number of commercial drink refrigerators that were plugged into gfci receptacle. They were not in a kitchen but they were on the sales floor. On top of that, the gfcis were obviously not accessible. Also, I would not consider them vending machines (they were listed as refrigerators/freezers). Was I wrong to quote to change them to normal receptacles? Customer had a power outages and they all needed to be pulled out to reset the gfcis.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would say that if you can move them, however inconvenient that might be, it counts as accessible. It need not be readily accessible.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Not commenting on 'is a GFCI required', but if required then the GFCI protection can be provided upstream of the receptacle.

So you could have an easy to reach blank face GFCI feeding each hard to get to receptacle.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Why would that apply? It's not installed in any of the listed locations
You asked "what in the code would require them to be gfci"
Location would require them to be GFCI protected. If they're not installed in a location that requires GFCI protection, thy don't need to be GFCI protected.

Ron

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Location would require them to be GFCI protected. If they're not installed in a location that requires GFCI protection, thy don't need to be GFCI protected.

Ron
This applies to the receptacle outlets

jimajimjim

Occupation
Master Electrician

Ron
Lol obviously. I was referring to the specific example I provided. Thanks though! Just making sure I was correct in my quote and thinking. Also making sure I didn't overlook something in the code.