COMMERCIAL SERVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

binney

Inactive, Email Never Verified
CAN YOU USE THE SAME 200 AMP PEDESTAL THAT YOU USE FOR A RESIDENTIAL SERVICE, FOR A COMMERCIAL SERVICE.

I NORMALLY DO RESE. BUT A FRIEND OF MINE IS REMODELING AN OLD COMMERCIAL BUILDING INTO A SMALL SHOP.

IN COMMERCIAL, WHAT DECIDES YOUR MIN. CIR. INTER. RATING. WE'VE USED THE SAME PANELS IN COMM. THAT WE USE IN RES. (I THINK 10,000AMP), BUT SOMETIMES IN COMM. HAVE BEEN REQUIRED TO HAVE A HIGHER INTER. RATING (15,000?). WHERE DOES THIS COME FROM?????

mdshunk

Re: COMMERCIAL SERVICE

If it is a single phase service at a commercial location, it may still be a "network" service. This would require you to use a meter base with a 5th terminal installed. Sometimes for commercial services they may want a meter can with special meter bypass features. Every utility has its own set of rules and specs on this. If there are 5,000 electric utility providers, there are at least 4,000 sets of rules on services.

charlie

Re: COMMERCIAL SERVICE

If there are 5,000 electric utility providers, there are at least 4,000 sets of rules on services.
There are few absolutes in the electrical business when dealing with electric utilities, that is one. :D
short circuit rating is determined by distance to transformer, or job specs
The rating of your equipment must be as a result of the available fault current and a short circuit analysis. Large services will generally have large transformers feeding them. If the service is fed with overhead banks, the transformer impedances will be lower than pad mounted transformers and the available fault current will be higher.

If the transformer is set just for you, 10 kAIC equipment will probably be just fine. If it is an existing installation, check the available fault current. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.