commercial services

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As far as the NEC is concerned you can, there may be something local or a spec that will prohibit it though.

Roger

garbo

can I use aluminm conductors for a commercial service?

You should be able to. Watch the tables. You can use 4/0 aluminum for a residental 200 amp service but a larger size in non residental if tying in meter sockets thru a trough. I think ECM had a picture of this resently. I was told 40 years ago that if you are doing a service that any splice made outdoors is better over the long run if the conductor material is the same. Copper to copper or Aluminum to Aluminum. Make sure you use an improved paste on the Aluminum conductors. Last time I priced copper service cable for a 200 amp service it was a $1 an inch ($12 a foot). Approx 30 years ago. Last I heard copper was $3.50 a pound making copper wire sky high.Check with the local inspector. They are nice guys who really are on you side.

ohmhead

Well you did say commercial i agree with all the above posts but one more added fact check with the power company .

In our state some areas use copper only in there transformers so its kinda important lots of dollars saved .

Call the power company .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.