Commerical Metermain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tps14

hey everyone,
I have some equipment on the ground floor outside of the building that needs to feed into a panel. I have a one spare pipe that leads out to the ct can and meter across the street. My question is, could I come into the meter with that pipe and make that meter a metermain? Their is a ct can that has underground wire going into the building, but I have no way to get into the ct can. Is the metermain an option? Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
I wouldn't say the answer is no just yet.

How many disconnecting means are making up the service now?

You can have up to six, maybe that is why a spare raceway was run - for future allowable load.

You must have the up to six disconnects grouped in same area.

There are exceptions such as fire pumps and other life safety type equipment at times that allow more than 6 disconnects - check applicable sections and 230.2 if you have something of this nature.

Don't know what you want with a meter - main. It is already metered at the CT cabinet.

kwired

Electron manager
That is what I was basing my answer on. The rest I can't figure.

You can certainly put more conductors through the CT's (usually, as long as they fit through), and the raceway was already there (maybe for this reason). I guess the conductors do not need to pass through the CT's if separate metering is desired for some reason.

Again, how many disconnecting means is existing needs consideration, as well as where are they located?

Tps14

I have a pv inverter that needs a two pole breaker and their is no way into the building. All the panels and service gear is in the basement.. So my only option really is to use that spare pipe that runs to a building that has the ct can and transformer which is across the street from the building. The pipe doesn't enter the ct can its just located over in that general area. I was wondering if I could use the meter which is located over by the ct cans. and just make it a metermain? Sorry, kind of hard to explain.

kwired

Electron manager
I have a pv inverter that needs a two pole breaker and their is no way into the building. All the panels and service gear is in the basement.. So my only option really is to use that spare pipe that runs to a building that has the ct can and transformer which is across the street from the building. The pipe doesn't enter the ct can its just located over in that general area. I was wondering if I could use the meter which is located over by the ct cans. and just make it a metermain? Sorry, kind of hard to explain.

Can you make up a one line drawing of what is there and what you intend to add and post it?

Tps14

My solar inverter is located on the outside off the building. And I need to feed a circuit from the inverter into a panel. The inverter First has to be landed on the supply side of its own meter, and then on the load side of the meter feed into a panel that is connected to the orginal meter of the building. My solution is to make orginal meter a metermain if all is possible, I hope you can kind of understand where this is going now lol..

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0

Tps14

The ct can and meter are located outside, arcross the street from the building.. not the same located of the switchgear.

Status
Not open for further replies.