Commericial Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flex

Im roughing in an office building and it has a break room with a fridge, sink and microwave. Does it need two dedicated countertop circuits?

Jljohnson

No, not per NEC rules.
Design-wise, I would suggest that they are put there anyway, as long as you can get paid for your work.

Rewire, your to fast for me. :)

iwire

Staff member
Im roughing in an office building and it has a break room with a fridge, sink and microwave. Does it need two dedicated countertop circuits?

No coffee pot?

I agree with the others, not required but IMO needed as much or more then in a home. Much more likely to have multiple people using appliances at the same time. Of course I would not do it for free either. :smile:

Flex

The fridge and microwave each get their own homerun, and the countertop is only like 3 feet long . Dont see much more than a coffee pot or toaster getting plugged in. Unless they do fondu or maybe like the george foreman.

electricalperson

the rules about receptacle locations only apply to residential and not commercial. i would install at least 2 or 3 if not more receptacles on that counter. depending on the size of the appliances id probably run dedicated circuits.

ive seen commercial kitchens that are 100 times better than the kitchen in my house. granite countertops, top of the line appliances, 2 fridges. the boss loved to cook lunch for himself and the other guys in charge. if its just a break room than a couple microwaves and a coffee pot and a fridge will probably be more than enough for the people to make lunch or whatever they want to do

electricalperson

The fridge and microwave each get their own homerun, and the countertop is only like 3 feet long . Dont see much more than a coffee pot or toaster getting plugged in. Unless they do fondu or maybe like the george foreman.

well than 2 receptacles is enough. one for the microwave and one for a coffee pot

satcom

well than 2 receptacles is enough. one for the microwave and one for a coffee pot

And then comes the instant hot water heater, and after that they find out the sink they installed has a drain that needs a pump, one small break room kitchen we did had 6 circuits. 1 pot may be ok for breaks, wait until they have their first party, then more coffee pots. We like it when an EC undersizes a job, it allows us an in to the account.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.