Commissioning emergency lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
I believe I read where the NEC was adding a requirement for commissioning of emergency lighting systems. I’m curious what this is going to look like. I’m familiar with commissioning on large projects and also some portions that are associated with energy codes, which is pretty straight forward with the paperwork. Just wonder what an AHJ will require, since it’s outside of energy code. I started looking at a NECA standard for commissioning which was interesting, maybe comcheck forms used for energy codes will add something. Maybe it’s just as simple as showing a photometric with proper illumination along with some paperwork for the tests done by contractor or from a third party like some of the requirements for special inspections in some areas. I didn’t look at it very close so it may not be a thing but curious on thoughts if it is.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I don't have the 2023 NEC yet, this is from Mike Holts Code Changes published in the Dec EC&M Magazine. Commissioning seems to be for any emergency systems
Many electrical inspections in my area don't require finals, and the elights would have to be tested on a final.
Interesting language "AHJ must conduct or witness the commissioning..."

Section 700.3 Tests and Maintenance

Analysis of the change:

Commissioning is a regular part of larger jobs, and now changes to test and maintenance protocols require emergency systems to be commissioned. To make this enforceable, revisions to (A) now require commissioning and not just testing of the emergency system. The term “commissioning” is defined in Art. 100, in part, as the process, procedures, and testing used to set up and verify the operation of electrical devices and equipment before being placed into active service.

New or revised Code language:

Section 700.3 Tests and Maintenance

(A) Commissioning Witness Test.
To ensure the emergency power system meets or exceeds the original installation specifications, the authority having jurisdiction must conduct or witness the commissioning of the emergency power system upon completion.

Note: See NECA 90, Standard for Commissioning Building Electrical Systems.

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Thank you for the reply , now I remember that my first thought was smaller projects where the only emergency system is battery emergency lights. Probably easier to apply to larger projects with testing requirements already in the book specifications and where a commissioning specification can be easily added. I guess we’ll see how it gets handled by AHJs , yes the language is interesting.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Most areas I work in, the fire marshal will verify all emergency lighting works. I know at least once, maybe twice, I had a fire marshal pull out a lux meter and check FC’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.