Common generator receptacle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For an upcoming outdoor show, I've got a vendor asking for a connection for the plug that "fits all generators. It plugs in and you turn it and it locks." Would this be an L14-30 or L14-20? (I don't think he means a 50a RV connector or a Camlok.)

Thanks.

iMuse97

For an upcoming outdoor show, I've got a vendor asking for a connection for the plug that "fits all generators. It plugs in and you turn it and it locks." Would this be an L14-30 or L14-20? (I don't think he means a 50a RV connector or a Camlok.)

Thanks.

does he need a common 120V or a common 240V? If he's talking about hooking into a small portable gennie, then it could be different than hooking into a trailer mounted gennie. I don't know if there's any common thing, except that he knows what he commonly encounters with the type of hookup he uses.

Last edited:

Rick Christopherson

Most enclosed portable generators have a series of convenience outlets on the back. The most common receptacle is an L21-20 for smaller loads. Many generators like Cat, MQ, etc. also have a CS6369 (Non-NEMA) 240V, 50 amp, 3-pole, 4-wire plug.

electricmanscott

Thanks.

There is not a "fits all" answer

5000 watts and under are usually the L14-20 twistlock The higher wattage 5500-7500ish which seem to be more common are L14-30 twistlock

This is assuming your talking about portable generators.

As far as I know, they need 120/240, it's for a trailer-mounted pizza sales operation, and he's probably talking about the smaller (<10kw) generators. If nothing else, I'll see what it is when he arrives, and maybe send someone to the supply house. (I have L14-30 and '20 parts in a drawer, but I like to have things together before they show up.)

One of the joys of these jobs is the depth of information provided :D.

Edit- I'm sure it's not a CS-type, but those are easy, most of the distro is CS (aka RV).

Last edited:

Rick Christopherson

For an upcoming outdoor show, I've got a vendor asking for a connection for the plug that "fits all generators. ...........As far as I know, they need 120/240, it's for a trailer-mounted pizza sales operation, and he's probably talking about the smaller (<10kw) generators.
From your description, it sounds to me that he is referring to the larger generators. It sounds like he has a typical vendor trailer that travels to organized special events, and these are typically powered by commercial rental generators as I described above.

I could be wrong, but if he was referring to the smaller generators that could only service a single vendor, then he would most likely own his own generator instead of renting one at each event. (But if this actually is the case, then my previous answer does not apply, and I do not know what these units have for convenience outlets.)

Along the same lines as the commercial events, these events are typically supplied with portable power distribution equipment, and the vendor rarely plugs directly into the generator panel. Nevertheless, the same connectors are common. The most common connector in the field is the L21-20, but some rental fleets use L21-30 (even though it is a code violation for the applications). A generator panel may have an L14-30, but this is less likely to be available with portable power distribution equipment. The CSxxxx type connectors are available on both the generator and in single-phase versions of portable power distribution systems (a.k.a. spider panels).

Status
Not open for further replies.