Communication cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Iceman

I have another question from my last exam I'm not 100% sure I answered correctly. To the best of knowledge the question asked which communication cable is universal? The answers were CMR, CMG, MP, MPP.
Looking over 800.179 (G), I answered Multipurpose Cable (MP). What I'm not sure about is could it be MPP?
I wish I could remember the exact wording of the question. I would appreciate any help you guys could give me on these types of communication cables.

The Iceman

peter d said:
My answer based on the NEC would be CMP. But I don't see that as an available choice on your test answers.

CMP may have been an answer on the exam. I'm looking for information on this subject that will help me if I come across this question in the future.

peter d

Dennis Alwon said:
Given the choices you list I would say CMG because it is a general purpose communication cable

Look at 800.154(E) in the 2008. CMG is above CMR in the cable hierarchy. Therefore you could substitute a higher rated cable for a lower requirement.

The way the question is worded the only cable you could use in any application (universal) would be plenum rated. Lower than that would be riser rated (CMR.)

The wording of that question is poor to say the least.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
peter d said:
Look at 800.154(E) in the 2008. CMG is above CMR in the cable hierarchy. Therefore you could substitute a higher rated cable for a lower requirement.

The way the question is worded the only cable you could use in any application (universal) would be plenum rated. Lower than that would be riser rated (CMR.)

The wording of that question is poor to say the least.

I agree I was somehow thinking most common rather than one that can be used universally. Dooh

Status
Not open for further replies.