Compact Fluorescent Ballast and Lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
Electrical Systems Inspector
I've never been much on "what ever works" is OK, I like to do things by the book, today I was working on a compact fluorescent fixture, 13w 2pin, I tried to find a ballast in another shop, I was handed a ballast that was for 22w,32w,42w lamps but not for 13w, I was told it would work and they were using them in other buildings on 13w lamps. I would think if that ballast was designed to drive the 13w lamp it would be on the label and if you did use it the lamp life would be shortened.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I've never been much on "what ever works" is OK, I like to do things by the book, today I was working on a compact fluorescent fixture, 13w 2pin, I tried to find a ballast in another shop, I was handed a ballast that was for 22w,32w,42w lamps but not for 13w, I was told it would work and they were using them in other buildings on 13w lamps. I would think if that ballast was designed to drive the 13w lamp it would be on the label and if you did use it the lamp life would be shortened.

That's wrong in my opinion, that lamp could over heat and cause a fire.

hbendillo

I don't understand how the multi-watt ballast would work properly with the 13 watt lamp. It may light the lamp but probably not regulate the current through the lamp properly. Could result in frequent replacement of lamps, poor light output, or it may overdrive the lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.