Concrete Encased Ground Electrodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All,

Could any one give me some information in related with concrete Encased Ground Electrodes with an example installation of any project?

Thank to any one who would like to reply/inform.

Regards,

Budhi Rahardjo

electricalperson

an example of a cocrete encased electrode is the ufer ground. 20 feet or more of rebar tied together in a foundation with a piece of rebar sticking out near the panel for electrode connection. i believe its now a code rule to use that kind of electrode aswell as ground rods or whatever you would normally use as an electrode

Concrete Encased Electrodes

Concrete Encased Electrodes

Dear All,

It is related with substation Grounding Grid Installation around the substation based on IEEE 80-2000 recommendation section 14.5 and 14.6 (Where step Voltage and touhging voltage is very danger).I need to know the installation method and construction method, if we use Concrete Encased Grounding electrodes to avoid from using soil improvement.
Any of you ever used this method of installation/construction ? Pls give me the information or s few sample of installation/construction.

Regards,

Budhi Rahardjo

dereckbc

Staff member
Budhi, NEC is not going to be of much help to you for NESC applications. For lack of a better word NEC is just too light weight for high voltage applications.

I use to design sub-stations early in my career and one good book as reference material is IEEE Std 142 (aka GREEN BOOK).

All sub-station mats I have ever worked with use a minimum of 250 MCM conductors on 10 or 20 foot center grid configuration thermal welded at each intersection, and ground rods driven anywhere from 20 to 40 feet at grid intersections on 2X centers. All concrete pads were specified to have the rebar thermal welded (as opposed to twist tied) and stubbed out to allow thermal weld to the grid and steel erecting structures. You will find this reflected in the GREEN BOOK with more details. NESC also has details, but it has been too long and I do not remember the article number.

Concrete Encased Grounding Electrodes

Concrete Encased Grounding Electrodes

Dear All,

Could any body give me an example of detail construction or Drawing of any project which was done in related with the above sibject .Based on IEEE 80-2000 concrete Encased grounding will reduce soil resistivity from 30-90 Ohm/M.

Regards,

Budhi Rahardjo

IEEE 80-2000 & Finite Method Grond Grid Calculation

IEEE 80-2000 & Finite Method Grond Grid Calculation

Dear All,

Could any body suitable application of the above method including its anvatages & dis-anvantages ?

Regards,

Budhi Rahardjo

mdshunk

Budhi.Rahardjo said:
Could any body suitable application of the above method including its anvatages & dis-anvantages ?
Yes, I agree with that very much.

What is it you're trying to achieve? Longer rods, more rods, and doped electrodes will also reduce the electrodes resistivity.

Maybe you should look up some of the orignal Ufer information on the matter?

IEEE 80-2000 & Finite Method Ground Grid Calculation

IEEE 80-2000 & Finite Method Ground Grid Calculation

Dear All,

Could any body inform the suitability of both method in application ,its anvatages & Dis-anvantages of both method ?

Regards,

Budhi Rahardjo

Status
Not open for further replies.