Concrete pad rebar

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
My stepson is having concrete poured in his backyard as pictured. The rebars are tied together as one continuous grid as usual.

I’m sure this is supposed to be bonded to the house ground system and that the contractors know what to do

However, in case this is untrue does NEC require this to be bonded to the house grounding system and where would it be bonded ? Water pipe?

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpeg
    IMG_2092.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 14

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
However, in case this is untrue does NEC require this to be bonded to the house grounding system and where would it be bonded ?
Bonding is not required. Even if this qualified as a groundIing electrode (it doesn't) if there is already a CEE bonding would not be required.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Bonding is not required. Even if this qualified as a groundIing electrode (it doesn't) if there is already a CEE bonding would not be required.
Which is confusing because NEC says that anything likely to become energized must be bonded/grounded (although covered by concrete) can become wet and semi conductive around outside receptacles or appliances used outside)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Which is confusing because NEC says that anything likely to become energized must be bonded/grounded (although covered by concrete) can become wet and semi conductive around outside receptacles or appliances used outside)
How could this slab possibly become energized?

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Not required to be bonded at all, and if this is an addition or patio, no Ufer will be required.

GFCI protection is required at all outdoor and below-grade receptacles, since you can get a decent ground connection from concrete.

But rebar inside a slab is not likely to become energized.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Not required to be bonded to the building grounding electrode system. Don't forget the bolsters, get that rebar in the correct location:

I've used the bolsters a lot on my pool/spa projects. You can also use concrete spacers for support. Brick pavers are excellent as a they have a high finish compressive strength. They will be closer to the finished concrete pour strength over typical concrete spacers.

I've used the bolsters a lot on my pool/spa projects. You can also use concrete spacers for support. Brick pavers are excellent as a they have a high finish compressive strength. They will be closer to the finished concrete pour strength over typical concrete spacers.
I dont like the idea of using pavers or concrete spacers as then you have a bug chunk of stuff in there, yes with fine compressive strength but a big chunk of cold joint with the concrete so effectively a big reduction in cross section at those points.