Condensate pump for furnace

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have condensate pump in Furnace closet next to kitchen. It is hard wired to panelboard however it is connected to same branch circuit as receptacles in the kitchen. Does not condensate pump require it’s own branch circuit? If no dedicated circuit is required then can it be powered from branch circuit feeding Kitchen receptacle? Scenario is dewelling

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
The condensate pump on my furnace is wired to the circuit that feeds the furnace. There's a single Edison receptacle mounted right on the side of the furnace labeled "Condensate Pump." Not sure if it's part of the furnace or was done when the house was built; it's always been that way. Most other pumps I've seen are powered by the furnace circuit as well.

SceneryDriver

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The condensate pump on my furnace is wired to the circuit that feeds the furnace. There's a single Edison receptacle mounted right on the side of the furnace labeled "Condensate Pump." Not sure if it's part of the furnace or was done when the house was built; it's always been that way. Most other pumps I've seen are powered by the furnace circuit as well.

SceneryDriver

Where does this say in code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Post #4 says it can also be fed from same circuit as furnace? That’s not correct?
Yes that's correct and typicaly that's how it's done. What you cannot do it's connect it to the SABC feeding the kitchen.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Yes that's correct and typicaly that's how it's done. What you cannot do it's connect it to the SABC feeding the kitchen.

Ok after communication with designer the plans are now changed to Loft area not a kitchen it’s a Loft. Condensate pump wire is wired to receptacles in Loft area. That should be acceptable no?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok after communication with designer the plans are now changed to Loft area not a kitchen it’s a Loft. Condensate pump wire is wired to receptacles in Loft area. That should be acceptable no?
That would be code compliant unless you have a very large pump.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Their is also second furnace upstairs second condensate pump but it’s circuit hard wire tied to bedroom receptacles circuit. Now that should also be acceptable no?

Last edited:

synchro

Occupation
EE
I think there's an advantage to wiring the condensate pump to the furnace circuit. If the pump is tied to receptacle circuits and the breaker trips then the condensate could overflow and possibly cause damage before the owner was aware that it tripped (or what the consequence of no power at receptacles could be, at least the first time it happened). If the breaker to the furnace circuit trips then there'll be no more condensate produced and it should also be obvious to the owner there's a problem with no heat.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I think there's an advantage to wiring the condensate pump to the furnace circuit. If the pump is tied to receptacle circuits and the breaker trips then the condensate could overflow and possibly cause damage before the owner was aware that it tripped (or what the consequence of no power at receptacles could be, at least the first time it happened). If the breaker to the furnace circuit trips then there'll be no more condensate produced and it should also be obvious to the owner there's a problem with no heat.

Correct but the code does not require it and at that point it would become design issue. NEC 2014 422.12 exception #1 says permitted to the furnace circuit it does not require it. I am correct or not correct?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
True, but most have a float in the pan to shutdown if pan fills from pump failure.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Some circuits are allowed "no other outlets" such as kitchen counter receptacles, laundry receptacle circuit, bathroom receptacle circuit (unless its another bathroom). Bedroom circuits aren't restricted. Lighting circuits aren't restricted. Furnace circuits are restricted to HVAC use, so a condensate pump would be OK, an electronic air filter owuld be OK, but not general lighting or some general room circuit or a sump pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.