Condotel Load Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubottom

I'm working on a renovation project converting hotel rooms into "Condotel" units - singly-owned condominiums, but not meeting the definition of a Dwelling Unit. The units will likely be put back into the rental pool.

In these units, a full residential kitchen appliance package is being installed EXCEPT for a range/oven (permanent provision for cooking). After revewing NEC Art. 220, I have not come across any sort of demand factor for these appliances, since the units are technically not Dwelling Units.

In calculating the load on the distribution feeder, do I really need to take 100% of the appliance loads, or is there any sort of demand factor I can apply to these appliances? Intuition tells me that 100% rated load of all appliances across 48 units will never occur, but the load will be much larger than the 2 VA/sf general Hotel lighting load...

bob

I assume that these units do not meet the def. of Dwelling Unit because there
are no cooking facilities? How are they to survive?
Look at 220.84. Even if they do not strictly meet the def. table 220.84 would
give you what you are looking for.

iwire

Staff member
It seems inconceivable that they will not have permanent provisions for cooking.

It does not have to be a range it could be a microwave.

rubottom

Condotel Load Calculations

Thanks for the responses. The units will still be within an operating hotel (so there are restaurants on premises), and they will have a microwave.

We are specifically not calling them dwelling units because the current receptacle outlets are installed in concrete walls; and modifying/adding locations within the concrete to meet the 6-and-12-foot rule would be very cost prohibitive.

So, we are moving forward that it is still a hotel occupancy, where the receptacles may match the furniture layout. We are also considering the microwave a removable appliance (much like a toaster or coffee maker), not a permanent provision for cooking.

Would I be able to apply the Dwelling Unit demand factors without meeting the 6-and-12-foot rule with the receptacles, since that is an existing condition?

Bjenks

"We are specifically not calling them dwelling units because the current receptacle outlets are installed in concrete walls; and modifying/adding locations within the concrete to meet the 6-and-12-foot rule would be very cost prohibitive." Look at 210.60 which refers your situation back to 210.52(A)(1). You will see that you still have the 6-and-12-foot rule. You also must have two non-blocked receptacles and the behind the bed receptacle must be protected from touching the bed.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
rubottom said:
I also do not see a Table 220.84 in the NEC. Is this number correct?
In the 2002 edition, it was Table 220.32.

But it doesn't apply, since it addresses dwelling units.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Smart $ said:
See 220.56 Kitchen Equipment — Other Than Dwelling Unit(s), and it's associated table.
And if, as I infer, you are using the 2002 edition, that would be 220.20.

Microwave ovens in Guest Rooms

Microwave ovens in Guest Rooms

I have an electrical inspector on a hotel project where the non-dwelling units have microwave ovens. The inspector agrees that the are not dwelling units. However when trying to find a diversity factor to apply we are going round and round. The inspector will not allow use of 220.56 as he says the equipment is not "commercial". He also says if they were dwelling units, I could not use Table 220.55, as the units are less than 1.75 kw each.There are 119 units involved. I need help, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.