Conductive pool shell bonding apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello..
The pool man said he would be installing a pool.. It will be steel with a liner.
Would I attach to four or more points of it for bonding,
or should I be looking at 680.26(B) (1) (b) (3) ??

to me stating 12" squares all around the pool... under, sides.. ?? and also, would each intersection have to be bolted...

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong..

Thank you

ritelec

Forgot to mention its in the ground.
I actually did one about ten years ago and just had to attach to it in several areas and the pool guy said he's never had to do the 12 x 12 thing.

But I did read this so am curious. I have a call into the inspector to get his take.

ritelec

Hello..
The pool man said he would be installing a pool.. It will be steel with a liner.
Would I attach to four or more points of it for bonding,
or should I be looking at 680.26(B) (1) (b) (3) ??

to me stating 12" squares all around the pool... under, sides.. ?? and also, would each intersection have to be bolted...

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong..

Thank you

I talked to the inspector yesterday, he wasn't sure what I was talking about. He kept bring us back to the 8" x 8" perimeter bonding that was around last cycle. I couldn't sight the article number as I had not book with me but kept telling him it was conductive shell bonding right above perimeter bonding,....
He mentioned he will read up on it and get back to me after Easter, Monday (finally an inspector who returns calls).

Has anyone had to make this " 12" x 12" " grid?

Am I off here with this? If he didn't know what I was talking about and never enforced it... after reading that article he may start to with me ??? :- )

Thank you.

My concern is if he didn't know what I was talking about,

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The 12 x 12 grid comes into play in the rare case where you have a conductive pool shell with no structural steel. Vinyl liners and fiberglass are not considered as conductive shells. With a vinyl liner, which it sounds like you have, you can ignore 680.26(B)(1) and worry about your perimeter bond in 680.26(B)(2) and other bonding as noted in (B)(3) thru (B)(7).

ritelec

Thank you augie47

Wondering what a pool with no "structural" steel might look like...

What keeps it's shape ??

ritelec

The 12 x 12 grid comes into play in the rare case where you have a conductive pool shell with no structural steel. Vinyl liners and fiberglass are not considered as conductive shells. With a vinyl liner, which it sounds like you have, you can ignore 680.26(B)(1) and worry about your perimeter bond in 680.26(B)(2) and other bonding as noted in (B)(3) thru (B)(7).

Did I run into a rear case? Just looked at an existing pool.

I don't see structural steel. I see a little thin metal at the corners, other than that they look like plastic rectangular boxes joined together, and the existing ground in the picture goes nowhere.
There was and will be a diving board and ladder and the niche looks plastic with a brass bolt on the outside.

In your opinion, does this pool fall into the install 12x12 grid all over (and underneath and sides)?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
sorry, I can't tell much from the picture. Is that a vinyl liner. If so, IMO you would need to bond the metal coping at 4 equally spaced spots to the perimeter bond. Also the bond stud on you light (it may look 100% plastic but there is often an embedded bond strap), you ladder and diving board sockets and the pump.

ritelec

Thank you Mr. augie47.

The poolman will be relining the pool with vinyl I believe.

"The plastic" shell. It's like they're 1/4" or 1/2 " thick , 2'x4' , 4" deep boxes. ???

I'll bond the points you mentioned.

I also talked to the poolman and he had intensions of inviting the inspector out.

I'll post the verdict.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.