Conductor insulation damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

briankilea

Occupation
Engineer, Brewer, Business Owner
Is this a code violation or just considered sloppy electrical work? Anything specific in the NEC or NFPA?

conductor1.jpg

conductor2.jpg

briankilea

Occupation
Can you cite specific code? I've been trying to find info on this and I'm surprised I haven't seen more complaints concerning this issue. It seems to be pretty common here in my area; something I've noticed in my previous homes and now my current home under construction. I'd hope things like this wouldn't pass inspection but seems to be overlooked or just not a concern to the inspectors.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
More than likely some over zealous drywall installers and their Rotozips. I don't advocate this, but one of my old friends once took the Rotozip that was laying around and causing him a lot of extra work and just hacked off the power cord :)

When I see that, I snip it just past the damage and pigtail it or use a Wago if there isn't much room to work.

briankilea

Occupation
Yes, definitely from a razor edge.

Those pictures are from electrical "rough in," just after framing went up, no drywall yet. This isn't just a single occurrence, practically every box I checked they used a razor to cut the sheathing and cut into the insulation, exposing bare copper.

Is anyone able to cite the specific code it violates and that electrical tape/shrink wrap would be an approved method to bring it back up to "code." My concern is the electrician would admit that it is sloppy work, but is not a code violation, therefore not something they are required to fix.

20230307_164959.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My concern is the electrician would admit that it is sloppy work, but is not a code violation, therefore not something they are required to fix.
The cutting itselfmay not be a violation, but leaving it un-repaired certainly isn't Kosher.

Have the electrical inspector have a look-see; he/she will come up with a compelling reason.

Sorry but I don't have NEC access right now.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Pigtail would be my first choice -- sometimes you want that anyway.

Seems like someone not being careful stripping the NM sheath.

Personally, I never cut the sheath around the NM with a knife...I just score it, making a tear at the end and then pull it open...finally, cut the hanging sheath with wire cutters. Then, you never have this sloppy problem.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As long as the copper isn't compromised the insulation can be repaired with tape. As others has said it needs to be repaired. In photo #2, I would fire my guys if they twisted the EGC's like that.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Unfortunately this looks pretty typical of wiring in a lot FL. It shows the quality of EC's, installers, and inspectors all need some improvement.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
This does need to be repaired. I would not use electrical tape.

The cuts in the insulation are near the cable sheath, so you can't really get in there to neatly wrap the tape. Then the wires are so small the tape doesn't really have much surface area to grip itself. I'd expect this tape to come off after some years of service.

I'd recommend using insulated fiberglass sleeve similar to https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/988/2573K42

Just slip it down the wire until you've covered the insulation damage.

-Jon

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
When it's said and done there's a good chance they won't even have a wire nut on them, I find that in over half the boxes I open.
I agree. I know what I said was kind of harsh but I've found that too. A long EGC twist and save a wirenut.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You could cite 110.7 as the bare conductors showing could cause a short circuit or ground fault.

110.7 Wiring Integrity. Completed wiring installations shall be
free from short circuits, ground faults, or any connections to
ground other than as required or permitted elsewhere in this
Code.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You should expect all of your products being installed to be "new" or in "like new" condition.

This should be in the contract between you and the General Contractor building your house.

Unfortunately this type of thing happens, but, if it happened in more than in just a couple of places, It may be a concern that may need to be addressed further.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You could cite 110.7 as the bare conductors showing could cause a short circuit or ground fault.
110.7 Wiring Integrity. Completed wiring installations shall be
free from short circuits, ground faults, or any connections to
ground other than as required or permitted elsewhere in this
Code.

Problem with that is, even with the missing insulation, it is free from shorts, ground faults or any other connection to ground.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.