Conductor Labeling/Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Regarding conductor labeling:
  1. I believe panelboard branch circuits are always labeled/tagged in the panel, correct? Is it code?
  2. I don't believe I've seen the same for conductors landing in switchgear. Why?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
#1- Nothing in the NEC requires circuits to be labeled or tagged in the panelboard. There does need to be labels or a directory that identifies the breakers on the outside of the panel though. Usually get put on the inside of the panel door.

#2- No requirement there either. Label/tag them if it makes you happy.

-Hal

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Only requirements regarding identification of conductors in these circumstances is if more than one nominal voltage system then 210.5 applicable. Otherwise it's more to aid installation and courtesy for next guy. (And it looks nice.)
Also 200.4(B) calls for identifying or grouping of the neutral and associated ungrounded conductor(s) by wire markers, cable ties, or similar means.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Regarding conductor labeling:

I don't believe I've seen the same for conductors landing in switchgear. Why?
Conductors do not require labeling but the feeder circuits originating at the switchgear would require an individual label at each switch or circuit breaker or a directory. {408.4(A)}

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I know some might consider it overkill but, it sure does make it easier on the next guy to label conductors at panel (where they are going to).

Than at final destination and any mid point junction in between them. (Saying where they originate)

Obviously overkill in a dwelling as I would just do the panel, but in commercial and industrial setting, it can save a lot of time for someone troubleshooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.