Conductor size

MiamiValleyelec

Occupation
Master electrician, licensed contractor
Can #2 copper go on a 125 amp breaker for a sub panel feed. #2 copper is rated for 115 amps, 115 is not a standard breaker so I can use the next highest, correct?

The sub panel is a Tesla gateway. Its going to feed a 60 amp EV charger, hot tub , water heater and another sub panel controlling basement lighting/basement bar.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Assuming the calculated load is 115 amps or less, you can do that. What is the calculated load for all of the equipment that will be supplied??

MiamiValleyelec

Occupation
Master electrician, licensed contractor
Assuming the calculated load is 115 amps or less, you can do that. What is the calculated load for all of the equipment that will be supplied??
Good question, I’m sub contracting this install so I don’t have all that information. I just reached out to the owner for more details on the loads. Looks like I’ll get #1 to be safe

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Can #2 copper go on a 125 amp breaker for a sub panel feed. #2 copper is rated for 115 amps, 115 is not a standard breaker so I can use the next highest, correct?

The sub panel is a Tesla gateway. Its going to feed a 60 amp EV charger, hot tub , water heater and another sub panel controlling basement lighting/basement bar.
Note that with the Tesla gateway, the resulting topology will most likely mean that your load panel after the gateway will need a main breaker whose rating is not more than the ampacity of the feeder, with no allowance to use 240.4(B). See 2023 NEC 705.12(A)(2)(b).

Cheers, Wayne