Conductor splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengee

A 4/0 copper is splice using a split-bolt connector to a 250kcmil AL and a #1 CU. A failure occurred in the connection. I think the #1 came loose and began to arc and melted down with enough heat to damage all conductors in the gutter. No devices tripped. Do you think my conclusion is right and what is wrong with this installation?

charlie tuna

Re: Conductor splice

bengee,
i don't think you can determine the actual problem causer.. imo-- as a thermographer i have delt with plenty of splice problems before they failed. there is a therory about splices and electrical connections that i believe in.

an electrical connection when properly made with approved materials and with proper torque applied will not fail unless overloaded.

years ago maintainance programs practiced having their electricians re-torque wire connections every two years---they found out over the years that this caused more problems because they were "over torquing" the connections causing additional problems! once a connection is made and properly torqued it should remain good. now, comes a connection that is overloaded every once in a while. the wire over-expands each time while overloaded and then begins to fail--loser-hotter-loser-hotter-etc.. the splicing of aluminum and copper as been used for years and if the materials used are designed for al/cu and properly cleaned-knoloxed and torqued will last. i would suspect the splice in question was either not made correctly or overloaded at times...

Status
Not open for further replies.