Conductor termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAW2006

I am supplying a 120Vac 12Fla motor over a distance that requires the use of #6awg Cu to assure an acceptable level of voltage drop.
I want to use a single pole 20 CB. This brought up the question of wire size vs terminal size. Any comments?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I had the same problem once on a long run had to run #2 to keep the voltage up for a 60 amp panel. I ran to a pull box just below the panel and then installed #6's up to the breaker.

My point, of course is, if the wires wont fit under the terminal, then I would just pigtail a piece of #12 to it and hook it up. Ypu've covered the voltage drop and a 6" piece of wire isn't going to make that much difference.

PAW2006

Thanks guys, That's the only way I could think to do it. I just haven't come across this before. As long as the OCPD is sized for the smaller wire I should be good.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
360Youth said:
I would say the same. J-box mounted at your panel and reduce the wire size to accomodate terminal size.

Why waste a J-box? I would splice it right in the panel.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Have you considered changing the motor (or just the motor connections) to 240V? For the same % voltage drop at the same _power_ consumption (meaning 1/2 the current) you need wire with 1/4 the cross section, or 12ga rather than 6ga....

-Jon

PAW2006

"Have you considered changing the motor"
Yes, that was the first thing I tried. The motor is an integral part of a pump that is spec'd by the mechnical guys. "It's the only one we can use"
;)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
infinity said:

I agree with infinity. I simply used one because I couldn't get the conduit to bend tight enough to get it into the panel, but I could fish a piece of cable down the wall and keep the install fairly clean.

360Youth

infinity said:

I am just refering to situations where you may not have the room. I go a little excessive at times for the sake of neatness. I have "issues" sometimes. :D

220/221

Install a lug on the CB terminal screw or under the CB lug?

It would aggrevate my OCD to have a piece of #12 in there at the start of the circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
PAW2006 said:
I am supplying a 120Vac 12Fla motor over a distance that requires the use of #6awg Cu to assure an acceptable level of voltage drop.
I want to use a single pole 20 CB. This brought up the question of wire size vs terminal size. Any comments?

Okay I will be the pest-- Did you remember to upsize your EGC to #6 or is this in metal conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.