Conductors in Conduit Prep Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSquirrel

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer (retired/consulting)
I looked for YouTube videos to answer the following questions, but found none that was of any use. Any feedback based on your every-day experience would be appreciated.

Arbitrary example: 120-foot (actual length) run of 2” underground PVC conduit from a house to a shop (includes two special 24-inch radius 90-degree elbows). Assume the shop is downhill from the load center at the house. Assume that 125-foot conductors are sufficiently long.

Four (4) 40-amp 240VAC circuits (no requirement for 120V feeds)
One (1) 500-foot spool of Red 8-AWG THHN
One (1) 500-foot spool of Black 8-AWG THHN
One (1) 500-foot spool of Green 8-AWG THHN

Q1. Do you individually measure out and cut the conductors (4 each of each color, i.e. twelve (12) at 125’)?

Q2. Do you lay them out on some type of sheeting (e.g. visqueen) to keep the jackets clean and free of grass and dirt?

Q3. When bundling them do you apply temporary tie-wraps (or some other means of keeping the bundle intact)?

Q4. When finished bundling the conductors, do you roll up the bundle (e.g. a 4-ft. diameter roll with approximately ten “loops”)?

Q5. At ~63 lb./1000 feet for 8-AWG THHN, this roll would weigh ~95 lbs. Other than using two people, would you use any special handling methods?

Q6. When pulling the bundle through the bottom of the load center, are two people sufficient (excluding the person at other end of pull-rope), or is a third necessary (given the weight and size of the roll)?

Q7. Do you use a short “sacrificial” piece of 2” conduit at the load center to prevent conduit abrasion? If not, are there “funnel”-type devices available for this purpose?

Q8. Can THHN spools (e.g. from Southwire) be relied upon to come at or more than their advertised lengths (e.g. >/= 500 feet)?

RSquirrel

Occupation
Mechanical Engineer (retired/consulting)
Not actually a building (shop). Actually an EV charger application, but I chose to simplify the example to avoid irrelevant and tangential answers. At moderator's suggestion I'm updating the scenario. Would still appreciate any feedback that's applicable. Thanks . . .

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Not actually a building (shop). Actually an EV charger application, but I chose to simplify the example to avoid irrelevant and tangential answers. At moderator's suggestion I'm updating the scenario. Would still appreciate any feedback that's applicable. Thanks . . .
@RSquirrel
Please go to your account and fill in your occupation.

Status
Not open for further replies.