Conductors in Kitchen Floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
I have a client who is remodeling his kitchen and is adding an island for which he will need power, but not water. His house is on a concrete slab, so the only way to get power to the island is via a grove or cut in the concrete floor to the nearest wall. The slab is likely only 4" thick with footer around the perimeter. My question is can we install schedule 40 or schedule 80 PVC in the floor cut 9an inch or so below the surface and then cover the conduit with concrete. NEC 300.4 (F), Exception No.1 allows NMC in shallow groves, but I'm not sure that applies to the concrete cut which would be re-filled with concrete. Can anyone help??

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd go with Sched 40 and I wouldn't even bother with cutting completely through the slab, unless it's as easy as cutting a 2" deep groove would be.

Added: Okay, I see you didn't intend to go through either.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
Conductors in kitchen floor

Conductors in kitchen floor

Thanks for the response guys. It's nice to be able to discuss "other than normal" situations.

wilsa

it need to be in 2in

it need to be in 2in

I asume that it has tobe in 2 in of concrete and olsa has to be rigid pipe

We had a similar install but the existing slab was cracked and falling. The owner had a mud-jacking company come in to raise the slab and they said that if we so much as made a small slice in the slab that we would have to warranty our work. It was fine by us not to install the outlet on the island, but the inspector had a different take on it.

When all was said and done the island had no outlet and the homeowner was happy.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would install pvc and make sure that 2 inches of concrete covers the conduit. Then I would sleeve UF in the conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.