Conductors on messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKramer

I was wondering what type of conductor/cable one would use to hang on a messenge cable between two buildings. I have a span of about 30' between buildings and I'm not sure if there is industry standard materials for a situation like this. I'm a journeyman electrician new to the fire business.
Thanks

raider1

Staff member
Take a look at Table 396.10(A) for a list of cables that can be installed as messenger supported wiring. (UF cable is on that list)

Chris

nhfire77

I don't think this is approved, but I've got a local AHJ approve this many times for fire alarm circuits underground and aerial:

IMSA cable.

iwire

Staff member
What is it?

It is a cable type most often specified in this area for municipal fire alarm circuits. (The wiring between a building and the fire station.)

IMSA stands for 'International Municipal Signal Association'.

http://www.imsasafety.org/cablespecs.htm

For those that are not used to municipal fire alarm circuits it is pretty much like a 1800s telegraph system. A bunch of transmitters in series with a receiver. Each 'box' taps out the box number and at the fire station they know box 673 is the local Walmart etc.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I'm a journeyman electrician new to the fire business.

I kinda think we need to know what the conductors or cable will be used for before we go and offer opinions.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.