Conductors thru knock outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

I had to run a new s e r 100a feeder into an existing 100a inside panel. Who ever installed the inside panel ran all the conductors into the box right thru the knockout holes with out installing and connector clamps. I can use the plastic remodeling bushings than push thru from the inside of the box . But what can I do where they ran about 10 romex wires thru a 2" knockout hole. Id have to cut a big hole in the drywall to pull the wires back out . If I put a pvc adaptor in the opening with a lock nut and plastic insulator could i put the wires back thru . would they need to be stapled before entering the box.

jetlag

Do you have enough smaller KOs to run all the NMs in through 3-4 or of them?

As for patching the drywall, oh well.

I dont believe there are enough small KOs left. Is there a limit on how many nms can go in a single cable clamp? I never put over two in a 1/2 " . 3 or 4 might go in a 3/4 "

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That would depend on the manufacturer's listing.

I agree. Start with the listing of the connector and then figure out how many KO's that you'll need to make. As far as the drywall the NEC doesn't really care if you need to open up the wall and then have to patch it. You cannot use a TA with a bushing as you've suggested.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are you trying to make it legal or safer? If the later just pop in a 2" plastic pop in bushing to protect the wires from the edges of the box. T&B makes them

Thomas--Betts-3210-rw-86419-151074.jpg

Last edited:

jetlag

Thanks Dennis

Thanks Dennis

Are you trying to make it legal or safer? If the later just pop in a 2" plastic pop in bushing to protect the wires from the edges of the box. T&B makes them

Thomas--Betts-3210-rw-86419-151074.jpg

well since the box is existing I am hoping the inspector will pass it if I can get the push in bushings installed, I didnt know a 2'' was availiable . I will try that before pulling all the wires out .

jetlag

I agree. Start with the listing of the connector and then figure out how many KO's that you'll need to make. As far as the drywall the NEC doesn't really care if you need to open up the wall and then have to patch it. You cannot use a TA with a bushing as you've suggested.

Ive seen people on remodeling before all the nm from an outside panel ran up the wall in a 2" pvc then an Lb to turn into attic . I know that passes inspection here, what is difference in that and me using a pvc adapter with short piece pvc conduit. Was the above not suppose to pass inspection.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
This is only 1 example of the trash you see if you do lots of residential wiring. It can really get discouraging. You see some in commercial, for sure, but it is epidemic in residential. Open splices, splices buried in walls, open light box in crawl space with a pump or HVAC fan wired to the light, light hanging off, terminals totally exposed, mud all around. I've seen wires in the attic cut by HO to "make some room" and live ends hanging loose.

hurk27

Ive seen people on remodeling before all the nm from an outside panel ran up the wall in a 2" pvc then an Lb to turn into attic . I know that passes inspection here, what is difference in that and me using a pvc adapter with short piece pvc conduit. Was the above not suppose to pass inspection.

See the exception to 312.5(C)
And that would only be allowed if the panel was "surface mounted"

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Like Hurk said, you would need to meet all of the requirements of 312.5(C)Exception. If your installation meets all of those requirements then it's code compliant. If it doesn't meet all of the requirements and it passes then maybe it's a local code that would still pass it or the inspectors simply aren't enforcing the code as written.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
See the exception to 312.5(C)
And that would only be allowed if the panel was "surface mounted"

Yes, and for some crazy out of reality logic you cannot do this into the crawl space only up into the attic. Go figure.

I always add a spare conduit up and down. One could add a JB and bring the wires in that way if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.