Conductors thru same hole in stud or plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
From an e-mail:
Is there any Code Article that prohibits my HVAC 24v thermostat or communication cables from sharing bored holes in joists and headers with my NM power wiring ??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Imo, using the same hole does not carry the same requirements as using the same raceway or box. There is no issue with running them thru the same hole. You could run telephone and NM in the same bored hole.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
NM cable is a chapter 3 wiring method, same as rigid conduit. you would agree that thermostat wire can run alongside rigid conduit, so if you accept that, then no issues with NM, or MC, or AC etc

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
NM cable is a chapter 3 wiring method, same as rigid conduit. you would agree that thermostat wire can run alongside rigid conduit, so if you accept that, then no issues with NM, or MC, or AC etc

The thermostat is a Class 2 or 3 circuit, and has to be separated from Class 1 power or lighting by 2 inches, IIRC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The thermostat is a Class 2 or 3 circuit, and has to be separated from Class 1 power or lighting by 2 inches, IIRC.

Where? Inside conduit and JB's . Where does it say in all situations? I remember years ago inspectors were calling that and then they realized that it is compliant as tghey are separate wiring methods.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What about 725.136(I)?
(I) Other Applications. For other applications, conductors of Class 2 and Clas s 3 circuits shall be separated by at least 50 mm (2 in.) from conductors of any electric light, power, Class 1 non–power-limited fire alarm or medium power network-powered
broadband communications circuits unless one of the following conditions is met:
(1) Either (a) all of the electric light, power, Class 1, non–power-limited fire alarm and medium -power network powered
broadband communications circuit conductors or (b) all of the Class 2 and Class 3 circuit conductors are in a raceway or in metal-sheathed, metal-clad, non–metallic-sheathed, or Type UF cables. ...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Reverse question: Why would it?
Perhaps I'm misreading but my thought was 725,136(I) required a 2" separation unless: (1)
"cables were non-metallic sheathed cables (parphrasing) ".
It doesn't say where the 2" would not apply so would (1) not allow you to pull sheathed cables thru holes ?

jumper

Perhaps I'm misreading but my thought was 725,136(I) required a 2" separation unless: (1)
"cables were non-metallic sheathed cables (parphrasing) ".
It doesn't say where the 2" would not apply so would (1) not allow you to pull sheathed cables thru holes ?

I am not totally clear on your question. Lemme somewhat change around the wording in 725.36(I) and highlight.

(I) Other Applications. For other applications, conductors
of Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall be separated by at least
50 mm (2 in.) from conductors of any electric light, power,
Class 1 non–power-limited fire alarm or medium power
network-powered broadband communications circuits unless
one of the following conditions is met:

(1) Either

(a) all of the electric light, power, Class 1, non–
power-limited fire alarm and medium-power networkpowered
broadband communications circuit conductors are in a raceway or
in metal-sheathed, metal-clad, non–metallic-sheathed, or Type UF cables.

or

(b) all of the Class 2 and Class 3 circuit conductors
are in a raceway or in metal-sheathed, metal-clad, non–
metallic-sheathed, or Type UF cables.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Jumper,
May be a senior moment..there are more of them lately
I read that and thought I understood it. My only question arose when Dennis questioned that applying to bored hole (if, again, I read his post correctly) and I could not see why it would not apply (to bored holes)

gadfly56

Occupation
I am not totally clear on your question. Lemme somewhat change around the wording in 725.36(I) and highlight.

(I) Other Applications. For other applications, conductors
of Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall be separated by at least
50 mm (2 in.) from conductors of any electric light, power,
Class 1 non–power-limited fire alarm or medium power
network-powered broadband communications circuits unless
one of the following conditions is met:

(1) Either

(a) all of the electric light, power, Class 1, non–
power-limited fire alarm and medium-power networkpowered
broadband communications circuit conductors are in a raceway or
in metal-sheathed, metal-clad, non–metallic-sheathed, or Type UF cables.

or

(b) all of the Class 2 and Class 3 circuit conductors
are in a raceway or in metal-sheathed, metal-clad, non–
metallic-sheathed, or Type UF cables.

OK, looks like I didn't recall enough :slaphead:.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Jumper,
May be a senior moment..there are more of them lately
I read that and thought I understood it. My only question arose when Dennis questioned that applying to bored hole (if, again, I read his post correctly) and I could not see why it would not apply (to bored holes)

That sections allows nm cable and class 2 wiring in the same raceway if they are in a sheathed cable. If it is allowed in a raceway then why in the world would it not be allowed thru a bored hole

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Once the conductors are installed in a cable then most of 725.136 does not apply. I believe that section refers to conductors run in the same cable or in a raceway not cables

gadfly56

Occupation
Once the conductors are installed in a cable then most of 725.136 does not apply. I believe that section refers to conductors run in the same cable or in a raceway not cables

"Upon further review, the referee has reversed the decision."

Status
Not open for further replies.