conduit as equipment grounding conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

millivolt

I am installing a sub pnl 120/208 3ph 200 amp.
I'm using a discontinued circuit which consists of four 300mcm, three hots and a neutral, I want to use this circuit to feed my panel.
Can I use the conduit (3" rigid aluminum) as the equipment ground or do I have to pull in a 5th wire.
Thanks in advance
Millivolt

mdshunk

Not to derail this very worthy post, but it begs a question for me. I've never worked with aluminium RMC. Do you treat the threads with something like Penetrox before you make up the threaded connection when you're using the pipe as the equpiment bond?

celtic

I can't cite any code/instruction on this - but we always Penetrox AL connections..pipe or wire.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Correctly stating voltages is very important. The voltage you are working with is probably 208Y/120V. Please refer to IEEE C84.1. Also the proper reference to cable size is KCMIL. The usage of MCM went by the wayside a few years back.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
The code section that covers this is 300.6 Protection Against corrosion and deterioration. It is a round about combination of (A) ferrous metal equipment, and (B) non-ferrous metal equipment. It soesn't say directly for the non-ferrous, but common sense shold take you there.

250.122 says see250.118 IMC is recognized as a method of grounding.

Because it is aluminum underground, and not knowing the soil condition, I would pull a ground, but doesn't appear to be specifically called out in the code that you would be required to.

Rockyd

Occupation
Underground?

Sorry, I wasn't through my first cup of coffee.

Steve is right, joints tight, money to be made...let's go (assuming everything else is good to go) !

Pass the Poly-water please.

iwire

Staff member
Rockyd said:
250.122 says see250.118 IMC is recognized as a method of grounding.

A small point here, there is no such thing as aluminum IMC.

IMC is always steel.

RMC comes in Steel, aluminum and even stainless steel.

Code allows conduit as ECG, but I'd tighten the nuts and add ground-bushings and wire at each end especially if you're going to be using AFCI or GFCI from that panel. (a ground fault will have to travel all the way to the main panel to sense) I figure if NEC doesn't allow just the electrical nuts at the service why would I allow it for a sub panel? That being said I find conduit to be pretty reliable ECG as long as all the fittings and nuts are tight.

Rockyd

Occupation
I concede to hiding behind 250.118(2) instead of 250.18 (3)...point noted.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Dave,
but I'd tighten the nuts and add ground-bushings and wire at each end especially if you're going to be using AFCI or GFCI from that panel. (a ground fault will have to travel all the way to the main panel to sense)
It would be almost impossible to have a metallic conduit that could not handle the current required to trip those devices under ground fault conditions. The maximum current required is 50 mA. The problem comes in where you are using standard OCPDs to clear a ground fault. The fault return path must be able to carry enough current to cause the circuit to open quickly...that would be at least 10 times the rating of the breaker to get into the instantanous trip part of the time current trip curve.
Don

W6SJK

Small point - NEC REQUIRES metallic conduit to serve as ground. The ground wire is supplementary.

Status
Not open for further replies.