Conduit Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I believe a mogul meets the full distance required between entries. The typical LB fitting gets away with less due to the "smaller dimensions" clause if listed and marked by the manufacturer with size and quantity of conductors.
Many of the moguls also do not meet the requirements of 314.28 and rely on the "smaller dimension" rule for larger conductors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Here's an example of an LB which would allow the same fill as a conduit due to the fact that when you remove the cover there is no "opposite wall".

The one pictured is a NEC LB 6X by Appleton
Carry a big wallet with you when purchasing :D

Picture1.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I learn something new every day. I hope I'm not running out of storage space.

Folks tell me that's one of my problems. They call it the "full bucket syndrome".
Take a 5 gal bucket, fill it, then add more water. The water you add just flows out of the bucket.
Same thing happens to me as the Code changes. Sometimes I remember a '93 Code change as current :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Here's an example of an LB which would allow the same fill as a conduit due to the fact that when you remove the cover there is no "opposite wall".

The one pictured is a NEC LB 6X by Appleton
Carry a big wallet with you when purchasing :D

View attachment 19153
In my opinion that needs to meet the 6 x rule just like any other fitting. I assume. based on the part number, that it does meet the 6 x rule and that is why it can have the same fill as the conduit. I don't believe that all of the conduit bodies of that design meet the 6 x rule.

On the same topic: Just this week I had a 2.5 PVC run with 4X250 conductors. I pulled up a spec sheet for a Cantex LB to check conductor fill and they said "max 3X500MCM" Picked up one, but a different brand, and it was labeled "3X250 MCM." I kinda think that was a typo. Why such a huge disparity? There was tons of room in there and I am pretty sure it wasnt any smaller than the cantex one.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
In my opinion that needs to meet the 6 x rule just like any other fitting. I assume. based on the part number, that it does meet the 6 x rule and that is why it can have the same fill as the conduit. I don't believe that all of the conduit bodies of that design meet the 6 x rule.

According to the cut sheet they do meet the 6X (8X for C) rule.
The fact that once the cover is removed there is no "opposing wall" makes pulls a lot easier.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
According to the cut sheet they do meet the 6X (8X for C) rule.
The fact that once the cover is removed there is no "opposing wall" makes pulls a lot easier.
But not all of the Reddot ones of the same design meet the 6 X rule. Their documentation shows the 6 x from the outside end of the fitting to the center of the other conduit entry. That does not meet the rule as it is written.

MAC702

...Just this week I had a 2.5 PVC run with 4X250 conductors. I pulled up a spec sheet for a Cantex LB to check conductor fill and they said "max 3X500MCM" Picked up one, but a different brand, and it was labeled "3X250 MCM." I kinda think that was a typo. Why such a huge disparity? ...

Perhaps it is more expensive to have it officially tested for the listing label, and they chose the cheaper test?

Status
Not open for further replies.