Conduit by heat source

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmurphy

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Here is what I deal with at work. Picture Below:

d884ac0c01acc5b681dff6bb1d66ac0f.jpg

I know this is completely wrong. I have voiced my opinion, strongly mind you, the conduit needs rerouted. To the maintenance manager, and supposedly the master electrician, who originally installed it.

(Side note: They both say they are Master Electricians, licensed from the Stare of Pa, However, the State of Pennsylvania, does not have a Master Electrician License from the Department of Labor and Industry, is this 1000% true????)

Now, understandable, this was installed 20 to 30 years ago. The forethought, should have been given, that eventually this problem could have occurred at some point. So why install conduit so close to a location that this could eventually happen??

The conduit is just good ole, 3/4 emt. So today, the same problem occurred again. The cables inside where melted together again, and instead of fixing the problem the right way the first time. This is how the Master Electrician(s) decided to fix it: Picture below:

849520e12367a0a13abe28c3f31709ca.jpg

They put some, insulation around it. Which mind you, is reaching temperature(s) of 360 degrees within 30 minutes.

Again, voicing my opinion; to no avail, said” this is going to fail again, at some point”.

Guess what, it did, two days later. And again new wire was pulled. This time, the wire melted, within the same day as the new wire being pulled.

So the supposed, Master Electricians, just put more insulation around the conduit.

I swear, this is a huge frustration of mine. Just band aid things over, that are to be either corrected, fixed, or correctly installed right the first time.

By the way, spend money on stupid things, like a security badge reader, on 4 doors, inside the maintenance shop. Supposedly to stop others from taking the nuts and bolts, and or tools. It costs about 4k in price. Mind you a good old Master Lock would do the same, much cheaper too.

But, don’t spend the money on what actually needs to be be addressed, corrected, and or fixed correctly not just half assed.

If possible, does anyone know of any code references, (can’t seem to find any at the moment, along with, a good way to talk to the big boss about this and some other problems. He is open to my suggestions. As where I came from, was a true industrial electrician company, not self taught, (which there is nothing wrong with that, all well and good) I was formally taught, along with went through an apprenticeship program, and have my JM card from a neighboring state.

There is a lot of potential here to make things better, though it seems, some people have either given up, or like to talk out there arse.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I have a master's and the state of ok does not have one. 🤔
Ahh maybe from another state.
Ok only requires an unlimited j card.
Crazy.
The unlimited j and contractors is the same psi test(s)

mmurphy

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
They have never left the state of pa, and both said they received there JM card and Master from the State of Pa only. Regardless, that isn’t my concern, if someone wants to not be forthcoming about there training and experience, that is on them and there dedication to the work and quality shows.

My main concern is dealing with the conduit, and how I can use NEC code to convince higher ups things like this need addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cadpoint

When management won't won't listen it ain't worth worrying about bad installs, or I'm "top dog" people.
It isn't worth the mental wear and tear, I got the Tee Shirt.
Remember the grass ain't greener on the other side there's just more of it!

mmurphy

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I agree it certainly isn’t worth it. Would love to have that tee-shirt.

I was brought in to correct issues like these, not to band aid them over as always been the case.

Then to get stopped as it makes the current people look bad, as they have no knowledge or experience of correct installs.

Case in point the one MCC that needs moved, it is directly below a major water tank that leaks gallons of water all over this MCC.

Their current solution is to put plastic around the MCC. Like WTH, who does that. It is comical.

So I switch to an off shift and just do it and say, deal with it, it is safer and now works per code. So deal with it.

The higher management is extremely happy, just direct manger is pissy. Made them look bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.