conduit&cat5e/6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to install a series of cat 5e/6 drops throughout an industrial building. Do the runs have to be installed in pipe(I am going to use emt), and where can I get some of the TIA/EIA 568B standards online , for free? I did a job last year that required a NEMA 12 rating (dust tight) and all the runs had to be in minimum 1"emt with compression fittings. I have asked the project coordinator ,but she doesn't know.

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: conduit&cat5e/6

Originally posted by bill@usps06492:
Do the runs have to be installed in pipe(I am going to use emt), and where can I get some of the TIA/EIA 568B standards online , for free?
Since you are using pipe, no problem. Unless you know someone with a copy willing to give it to you for free, then OK. But otherwise you will have to pay for a copy from ANSI.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

There is no requirement (if that's what you are asking) that the runs be in pipe. Pipe may be required by the architect or engineer or just may be a good idea depending on the design/layout however.

Don't know what you will gain from the 568B standards that will help you. Listed in the specs, right? If you are going to use pipe, support and minimum bend radius are taken care of. Just use deep boxes to prevent kinking at the jack locations. Punch everything down using the 568B color code marked on the jacks and patch panel. What more do you need to know? The IT people will make a big deal out of this but it really isn't, their computers will work just fine.

-Hal

jrdsg

Not much to add to Hal and Derek, but...

You may find useful installation hints, details, etc., on the websites and in the catalogs of the manufacturers. This stuff is often illustrated and easier to understand than the formal standards themselves.

Try Siemon, Panduit, Nordx, Hellerman-Tyton, Hubbel, Amp, etc. [sorry if I left anyone out...]

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.