Conduit encased in Concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

br

Which article deals with galvanized rigid metal conduit being encased in concrete? Has the "red" concrete requirement been deleted? Thanks, BR

thinfool

Re: Conduit encased in Concrete

Try table 300.5 .
The 'red' is in the mind and spec book of an engineer. Nasty, expensive and now that we can install foil backed marking tape above a concrete duct bank, unnecessary.

The premium for 'red' was an extra $10/yd the last time I had to deal with it.

redfish

Posted by thinfool,
The 'red' is in the mind and spec book of an engineer. Nasty, expensive and now that we can install foil backed marking tape above a concrete duct bank, unnecessary.
I agree with thinfool, if I was excavating above a concrete encased ductbank, I would prefer foil line tape that can be detected, as opposed to red colored concrete that you have to physically come in to contact with in order to locate. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Why would foil backed marking tape be needed for galvanized rigid metal conduit?

Don

redfish

Originally posted by Don
Why would foil backed marking tape be needed for galvanized rigid metal conduit?

Don
Don, I was referring to concrete encased conduit, if rmc is encased in concrete, it would be hard to detect with any type of metal detector. Even if it(rmc)is not encased in concrete, foil lined tape placed above the conduit and twelve inches below grade and a metal detector should help to locate your trench. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

In my experience, the metal conduit with or without concrete encasement is much easier to locate with a locater than is the foil tape.
Don

redfish

Just think how easy it would be to find with both .Foil lined tape is just a bonus. To each his own. :)

[ July 23, 2005, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: redfish ]

Status
Not open for further replies.