Conduit Fill required for a bend and stub up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you transition to a PVC schedule 80 elbow and PVC schedule 80 stub up at your underground conduit fed equipment from schedule 40 for the long horizontal run in the ground, does the conduit fill calculation have to be based on schedule 80? I don't see any exceptions to the 40% fill requirements unless you have a short nipple.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If you transition to a PVC schedule 80 elbow and PVC schedule 80 stub up at your underground conduit fed equipment from schedule 40 for the long horizontal run in the ground, does the conduit fill calculation have to be based on schedule 80? I don't see any exceptions to the 40% fill requirements unless you have a short nipple.

Will the wire go through the pipe? I would go with the requirements of the small id..

I would think that technically speaking you would be required to use the smallest conduit in the run for fill requirements.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would think that technically speaking you would be required to use the smallest conduit in the run for fill requirements.

I agree, you would take the smallest id and use that for the fill calculation for the entire conduit run. The 60% fill for a nipple is permitted because of a lesser likelihood of damaging the conductors during installation due to its short length.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I agree, you would take the smallest id and use that for the fill calculation for the entire conduit run. The 60% fill for a nipple is permitted because of a lesser likelihood of damaging the conductors during installation due to its short length.

Its short length and your access to both ends. The stub up may be just as short, but you have no direct access to its far end to maneuver the wire.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Its short length and your access to both ends. The stub up may be just as short, but you have no direct access to its far end to maneuver the wire.

Yes that's what I was saying. If you have a short nipple of 24" or less there's not much chance of damaging the conductors even with 60% fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.